th350 not downshifting to first in Drive

Heckeng

Hi all, i got my car back from getting the transmission (th350) gone through with a new B&M rebuild kit with a Fairbanks shift kit, and ATI converter around 2500-3000 rpm stall. The transmission was rebuilt by a friend who is very reputable--he is a GM mechanic and mainly focuses on transmissions for his dealership. It runs great, no slippage that I can tell,, shifts excellently, torque converter has noticably more stall than the old B&M holeshot 2400. I have a strange shifting issue though.

When in Drive, if you come to a stop, the transmission will only downshift to second gear. If I put the transmission manually into first gear, it goes to first. If I put the transmission into first manually then shift up to drive and then go, it locates first in drive. BUT, if I just leave it in drive and come to a stop, second is where it starts out.

This is probably something easy or stupid because I've talked to others who have had this happen but nobody has figured out what is causing it! Anybody I've talked to that has had it happen just manually shifts it and avoids the problem that way.

HELP!!!

Hey. Try looking at the kickdown linkage that attaches to the throttle part of the carberetor. sometimes when it comes loose it wont take thing transmision down.

Chris fgmcc

Hey. Try looking at the kickdown linkage that attaches to the throttle part of the carberetor. sometimes when it comes loose it wont take thing transmision down.

Chris fgmcc

Chris fgmcc

Thanks monteman, I may need to look into that. I have always disconnected that actually because I've never had an issue with downshifting due to getting on the throttle, it has always done fine based on the modulator and the governor. But, you never know. I talked to B&M and they say it sounds like a sticky gov. valve, so I'll replace that tonight and see what happens! I'd sure like to fix this so the wife could drive it and I didn't have to worry about her burning up the transmission by starting in second gear all the time!

• 13 years later...