Western Meet 2010

Canuck

Guest MONTE831
The Cherries Jubilee show is a Top Notch show for the future. I went last year and had a blast. I didn't drive my Monte on the track but I did opt for 5 laps in a Porsche race car as a passenger. That dude was flying! The cruises were great and I have yet to find an evening show that can compare with the one up and down Cannery Row. Awesome people and a great location on the coast. You hear that Big Block guys? NO OVER HEATING! Great weather.

Nygel

yea its an awsome show....im going this year and im currently working on my monte getting it ready for the show....im getting it painted and worked on as we speak....cant wait....well i really hope you guys get to make it down here in the furture....and imma try to make it to 2010's meet next year....so see you guys there....but i do wanna extend an invite to those that would like to take part in the cherry's jubilee this year its in sept and if you hurry ur reg. if post marked before aug 15th its only $95....i know it seems like a lot but it does go to a good cause....anytime after that its going to be $105 but its worth it....its a 5 day event....if you want more info hit me up or go to the website www.cherrysjubilee.org i'll be there reppin FGMCC and hope i can get a few other local members there with me grin

• 2 weeks later...

I have narrowed down the search to the following two events:

Cruise the Gorge

The Dalles, Oregon

August 2010

http://www.midcolumbiacarclub.org/cruise-the-gorge

Flashback Cruz

Bend, Oregon

July/August 2010

http://www.flashbackcruz.com/

I have sent emails to both events to clarify a few things and see how "accommodating" they are. I hope to get a response soon.

At this point, I am personally leaning toward the Bend event since it has a full schedule of things to do and it is a little further South than The Dalles.

As Dave mentioned in a previous post, June has a more likely chance of rain so I have dropped the Medford event from the running. Both of the above events are in July/August where there is a better chance of good weather.

I also think that since we have some good candidates for events in Bend and The Dalles, La Grande seems a little close to Polson to consider for 2010 in my opinion.

Let me know your thoughts on the above.

fgmcc

OK Aaron, your starting to act like my old girlfriend. You had me sold on Medford and now you are changing your mind. grin

My vote would be The Dalles. Great location on the Columbia River and the racing sounds cool.

The Dalles is the second week of August which would be easier for us to attend. Just my 2 cents.

Vaughn

OK Aaron, your atarting to act like my old girlfriend. You had me sold on Medford and now you are changing your mind. grin

Well that's because I got some feedback regarding the weather. Glad Dave mentioned that. smile

I got more information regarding the two events.

The Dalles:

- August 13-15, 2010

- They had 270 cars at last year's event

- No problem setting up the canopy and club banner

- I still do not have a definate answer regarding participation in the drags. I have a feeling we just spectate (still fun though).

- No need to register as a group to park together. We just show up to the staging area as a group like other shows we've been to.

Bend:

- August 6-8, 2010

- They had 419 cars at last year's event

- No problem setting up the canopy and club banner (no larger than 12x12)

- No need to register as a group to park together. We just show up to the staging area as a group like other shows we've been to.

Bend is a larger event with lots of stuff going on but The Dalles has drag racing... Decisions, decisions.

Anyone else want to put their 2 cents in before "the call" is made?

The Dalles can be very beautiful (sometimes windy), the whole gorge is a stunning drive, used to take my son up there for basketball tournaments. The only thing you may want to check out Arron would be things to do. Last time I was there (it was some time ago) it was a pretty sleepy old town.

Bend is very nice too but probably more expensive as it's a trendy type town. Obviously I would vote for anything that had drag racing involved, especially if we could run.

Is there anything going on at Woodburn? That's a strip about 30-40 miles south of Portland...Dave grin

Is there anything going on at Woodburn? That's a strip about 30-40 miles south of Portland...Dave grin

No multi-day cars shows in Woodburn on a quick search. I thought maybe we could find some racing near Bend to go to on the Sunday if we chose the Flashback event. I took a look to see if there are any drag or stock car racing for Sunday near Bend but not much luck. The tracks that have racing are a fair distance away (2 or 3 hours). The Woodburn strip is almost 3 hours from Bend.

From some photos I've seen, the drags at Dallesport (near The Dalles) looks pretty cool. It is held at the airport and it appears anyone can enter their car. I am awaiting some information regarding cost and how to register since this is not included with Cruise the Gorge car show registration.

I wouldn't race mine but it would be cool to see some members send their Montes down the strip. smile

I am diggin either of them, Oregon is beautiful

who do I talk to about restoring my membership, I let it expire...such a bad bad boy!

Ray

Good to see you here Ray! smile

I just got off the phone with Tim who organizes the drags at Dallesport.

It is a 1/8 mile at the airport. He says it is $40 for all day to race (10am to 5pm). They open the gates at 7:30am and registration is closed at 9:45. You must get to the track early to pass tech inspection before racing. Some of the drag racing veterans here in the club can inform you of what is required to pass tech.

The fee for spectators is $10 per carload which is really reasonable.

It seems there is interest from club members in doing the drags. We have never done the drag racing thing for the Western Meet before so maybe its time to do so. Something different.

I just got off the phone with Tim who organizes the drags at Dallesport.

It is a 1/8 mile at the airport. He says it is $40 for all day to race (10am to 5pm). They open the gates at 7:30am and registration is closed at 9:45. You must get to the track early to pass tech inspection before racing. Some of the drag racing veterans here in the club can inform you of what is required to pass tech.

The fee for spectators is $10 per carload which is really reasonable.

It seems there is interest from club members in doing the drags. We have never done the drag racing thing for the Western Meet before so maybe its time to do so. Something different.

yeah...what you said Arron.....1/8 mile won't stress cars too much. Tech is pretty easy if your cars is in one piece. If we decide to do this we can get the tech info from the track....I think everyone could have fun doing this. You can drive your car as hard as you want, just like merging on the freeway...Once my wife did it she was hooked... Okay Royce...you're on!!!!grin

Guest MONTE831

i was for bend but i think im leaning towards the dalles now....to either do or even watch the drags would be koo....imma really to make it in 2010 it would be my first meet since joining the club this year....so if i make it....if cali members in central and southern cali wanna meet up to parade up there i think that would be koo....

I think that either one of those shows for us to "piggy back" onto would be fine as well, and the registration fees are reasonable for each of them. I've been at both those areas in Oregon and they're beautiful. I'd really dig goin' to the drags; that would be boss, man!

smile

Dave

I think that either one of those shows for us to "piggy back" onto would be fine as well, and the registration fees are reasonable for each of them. I've been at both those areas in Oregon and they're beautiful. I'd really dig goin' to the drags; that would be boss, man!

smile

Dave

let's call it...MONTE'S ALL OUT !!!!!!!!.......the movie.... grin

I wouldn't race mine but it would be cool to see some members send their Montes down the strip. smile

ditto The only thing I'm dragging is my butt out there. kicking