Eastern and Western Meet ?

FGMC72

I think it is roughly 1300-1500 miles to the middle of the country. Are you going to be there if it were to take place? - dave

A MidWestern Meet has been considered for Mid members in the club. The only thing is finding someone to organize, and so far no one has stepped up to organize. No offense to any mid usa members though, as it takes hours and hours to organize a meet and the last week before the meet is when the most time is spent. Although lots time is also spent throughout the whole process. I didn't keep track of how long it took the 09 eastern meet, but it was a lot. I enjoyed it though, and will do it again in the future. grin

Its a task, especially if you have a busy work schedule, kids, etc.

A meet in the middle would probably get less attendance than the Eastern Meet since it would be further away from a majority of members. When the club used to have only one annual meeet, it was always further East since that is where more members are. Living on the West coast, I eventually came to the conclusion that there never would be the big FGMCC meet out West so I started an "informal" meet which became the Western Meet. It became an annual meet after 2004. I actually feel pretty lucky that we even have a meet out West since most National clubs do not offer one.

So, essentially, the Eastern Meet is the National meet as it is usually held where a large number of the members can access it.

I think a meet in the middle is a great idea in addition to the meets we have but not as the only annual meet.

I agree with Aaron. A Mid-country meet would be a good idea if we could find someone to take on the responsibility. I would suggest someone in the mid area, who is interested in taking on the responsibility, find a location they are interested in hosting a meet and then posting a feeler on the boards to see how many people would be interested in attending.

As Jared said, it is a lot of work to do it right. It is a lot of work but great to see it coming together at the end when it is a success. I have planned two of the Eastern Meets and along with Jared and Kevin, Capri, Andreas, Scott and I had a large hand in this years meet.

Rob

Obviously, turn outs are not always about the home state, Not sure If I can make EVERY meet, but it is only once a year. If the plan could be to arange a meet on either side of the Mississippi River, you could combine the two for 1 special meet, thats all I was getting at. Would I come, Its all about the timing, as It is for all of us no matter where or when we meet.

It Appears that most of the western memberships center around Nevada. So I do see that both side could have to travel as many as 1000 miles to meet halfway.

I guess in this case Its the Thought that Counts ?!

I guess in this case Its the Thought that Counts ?!

I agree. It is always good to bring ideas to the table and we encourage that. I hope the responses did not appear to be negative. Our responses were not meant to be "negative" in any way on the idea but simply stating the facts from our experience. I too thought the exact same thing when I first became a member "why are the meets not in the middle of the country for all members to access?" After organizing some meets, I learned that there are a lot of variables/factors that go into a meet. It is definitely not near as easy as it seems to choose the locations/events as I thought it would be initially.

It might be great to make the cruise to the meet part of the meet.

Just like the Americruise to Nebraska each year, start in several locations on the West and East Coast and cruise in a convoy to the middle of the country for the meet...

Just a thought...

We could all meet here:

http://www.kansasphototour.com/center.htm

Or, if we include our Canadian Members, we should meet here:

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11486

That's a cool idea making the drive as part of the meet. There are some that "informally" do that now but if it was scheduled and such it would be a big caravan of Montes. That would make for a fun drive.

Seeing as how there are very little (if any) members in the Northern 2/3 of Canada, I think Nebraska or Kansas would be pretty central. I doubt I can make the 25 hour drive anytime soon but there are probably others who could do it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest knightfan2691
A MidWestern Meet has been considered for Mid members in the club. The only thing is finding someone to organize, and so far no one has stepped up to organize.

Um.

Yes, it wasn't an OFFICIAL meet, but I did plan/organize the MidSummer Chitown Gathering #2, July 25 ... to which Andreas was the only FGMCC member to attend (unless you count me) ... and MANY groups/boards were invited to that event.

It is just tough getting MidWestern people together for ANYTHING ... at least in my experience. Sure, 65 people attended the 1st MidSummer Chitown Gathering in 2008, but with only a third of that coming in 2009 (with LOWER gas prices, nonetheless), a third one is not a possibility, imho, especially when you consider it took me a good 5 years to get more than 5 people together for an event of ANY type......

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...RT 66 = Sept 5-16, '09

WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort

"After so many dreams have fallen through, it's time that 1 came true" ... Earl Thomas Conley ... 'Nobody Falls Like A Fool'