2010 Western Meet Announcement

Canuck

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey all,

Just letting you know I called to book a room today and not a room to be had during the weekend of the Meet. A bigger whoop-de-doo than I had figured. So, on to PLAN B!

I live about 1 1/2 hrs. drive away & am planning on returning home after each evening of the MEET. On a lighter note, expenses will be less. I live about 5 min's off I-205 and it's a straight shot to I-80 East and into The Dalles.

Thought about another Inn close by but am not comfortable leaving the car unattended. More safety in numbers if you get my drift! Will also allow me the opportunity to get some hiway miles on her and see if all that effort I put into her the past 3 years actually paid off!

Sooo, never attended a MEET before and am curious on what the intinerary will be for Friday. Not sure if there is going to be a location and time where we will all meet up. If anyone carrying a Cell Phone would like to give me their number, I can call ahead warning you all I am near.

GREAT idea some of you meeting up as a Caravan getting to the MEET! I am in envy!! Way to COOL....

Hey Dave, I'll vote for ya buddy in your run for the Presidency. With a mantra of "politics just can't get any worse!!", your a sure bet. If you need a campain manager I'm your man! My mantra is "If you can't dazzle em with brilliance then baffle em with" er,this is a family site isn't it?

Until next time,

Doug

Hotel Rooms:

According to the records I received from the hotel just last week, there are still rooms available under the FGMCC name. Make sure you say you are part of the "FGMCC" group. Give that a shot. If you still have problems let me know and I'll contact them to straighten out the issue. I have sent them an email to get more details on the types of rooms left and hope to hear from them in a day or two.

Friday Itinerary: The Cruise the Gorge event does not officially start until Friday evening with the neon cruise. However, based on my past experience, it is nice to arrive early to give time to get to know each other and get the cars clean before the weekend events begin. The weekend can be quite busy sometimes and goes by way too quickly. The people in this club are what make it great and it is nice where possible to extend the amount of time to get to know them. Most of the members who have been to a meet before will be arriving Thursday night since they have experienced the same thing at past meets. My guess is that roughly half of the people will arrive Thursday night. In my mind, that is truly when the meet starts.

It is not a requirement that members arrive on Thursday and not everyone's schedules can permit that. But, it is recommended to be there earlier rather than later if possible.

Same goes for the end of the weekend, some will choose to leave Sunday afternoon/evening whereas others will stay and relax Sunday evening before heading home Monday.

I know it's the long answer to Doug's question but I want those who have not attended a meet to understand why some choose to get to the meet location early.

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

smile

DOUG: You have a PM smile

A correction!

Based on Aarons reply I called back to verify room availability & this time was granted a room. The individual I talked with earlier apparently did not catch that I was with the FGMCC. I inquired and was told there are still a number of rooms available to the FGMCC. I should have asked for a number but did not think to ask. However, all other rooms have been booked for the week end of the Meet at this particular location.

If you have as yet booked & are planning to, I would do so at the earliest opportunity to lock the reservation in.

If the FGMCC reserved rooms have been completely booked and you cannot get access, I will gladly surrender my reservation for 1 Single Queen room as I do live close enough that it won't create a major hardship for me to surrender it.

Thank you Aaron for your reply to my earlier post. Otherwise I would not have revisited booking a room.

All have a GREAT day & see ya at the MEET.......

Doug

P.S......

If I-5 thru Portland onto I-80 East is the route you guys up North determine is the route you will take, I am interested in hooking up with the caravan just after you hit I-80 East for the final leg of the journey. There is a large truck stop just before Troutdale right on I-80 that would be perfect. Easy off, easy on. Can stetch your legs, gas up and get nourishment if needed.

I will talk with Jack (monteman1972) tomorrow and see if he might enjoy taking part as well. If another route is selected will meet up with you all in The Dalles Thursday afternoon.

Doug

Talked with Jack (MONTEMAN1972) & he will be coming later if all goes as planned but am still hyped about hooking up with the caravan in Portland on Thursday.

I will keep you all posted and as the Meet approaches firm up a time where we can meet up.

By the way!@ I meant I-84 East as most have probably already suspected. If I go I-80, it's going to be a loooong drive and will miss you entirely!

Would be nice to see the Cali crew merge at the same time and converge on The Dalles together during the last leg of the trip. Not certain of their path but is just a thought.

Doug

Maybe I should go west, hook up with the convoy and then come back to The Dallas. LOL Take lots of pictures during the convoy. How many are driving to the meet?? Mine will be hidden.

I'm driving the Monte. I think Jake is the only one in the convoy that is bringing the Monte on a trailor. smile

I plan on driving at least part of the way with the convoy. Just

can't pass up the oportunity to be a part of that.

Deb's gonna drive the whole way in the motor home with an empty trailer, isn't she Jake. lolgrin

Originally Posted By: Shadow Gray SS

Deb's gonna drive the whole way in the motor home with an empty trailer, isn't she Jake. lolgrin

LOL

I made my reservation at The Dalles Inn earlier this evening. Annette was wonderful to talk with, and as of 7:30pm (Sunday) she still had a few rooms left for our "FGMCC Group".

smile

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone, We are in for the show. We reserved for 2 nights. Not sure if I get Friday off yet but we will see. Can't wait to meet everyone.

Take care, jack

There is a trophy for club participation. We should have a good chance at that. It all depends on how many club cars get registered for the show. smile

At the 2007 meet, the car show actually made special trophies for our club which was very nice.

I just made reservations for the western meet at the Hotel for Friday, Saturday and Sunday. A friend of mine may come since his mom lives nearby, and we are debating whether to drive or trailer the car. I am hoping to get a trailer from a studio in San Diego and cut some costs since the one show is going on haitus. I think everything is good to go and the fire didnt do any real damage.