71 SS Rear Trim below the trunk ??

true blue

Can someone tell me if the top and bottom chrome pieces are

the same. I found the 3 piece bottom at The Parts Place but

they don't sell the top 3 piece and looking at the picture it looks the same so why not buy two sets ??? I have the Monte

Carlo and SS emblems.

Thanks

Bill

I believe the centre piece is the same top and bottom but the pices at either end are different. The "hockey sticks" on the 71 SS can be pricey when found since no reproduction is made. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Only buy the long center pc from the parts place. The "hockey sticks" are not very good. They are made out of Alum. and don't fit very well. Buy the real deal from www.trimparts.com you will be happy. Its only money and its for your Monte. I want a set of the upper hockey sticks. I was planning on posting it tonight. I'm going to try to make a set out of the lower ones.

Carl from CT.

Larry from Mass. (the machinist) was making the top hockey sticks for SS's. They are different than the bottom hockey sticks b/c they have spikes to hold them in place on quarter extension.

I cannot remember the contact info for Larry. He has sold his 71 SS454 due to slowing business at his shop, but he does intend to get another once things are back to normal.

Leo Konik was getting them from him, in fact there is a set on Sam(Bones) car. He will be able to get them for you. They are a bit pricey though, but he is the only one making them.

Dan

Thanks. I know how to reach Larry Ray. Steve is there any chance in getting a real close up picture of the upper Hockey sticks that are on your Monte. Thanks.

Carl From CT.

Guest Rick Sheridan

hi guy's don't know if you seen that 71ss454 on ebay for the past week. it didn't make the reserve the highest bid was $8850.00. it was a nice car

Thanks Steve. I think that 71 SS is your next restore.

If you get a chance could you send me a real close up picture> I would like to see the top and bottom to compare to the lower ones. Thanks.

The lowers are aluminum and "L" shaped with screws going up through the bottom. The uppers were pot metal with no lip and the two studs cast in the back like the hood ornament.

TB

The part number is 1646. Called 70-71 lower panel molding extension. The pair go for 58.70 in the 2006 Catalog. Those are the lower ones. The upper ones are for the SS. Only Larry makes them. Read the other posts on this topic.

• 3 weeks later...

My 71 SS454 was semi-gloss black. I think they also call it 60% gloss. Mine was factory paint, both semi-gloss and the color- Rosewood metallic.

I believe it also extends up into the trunk weather strip at an angle on both ends (in the corners) just like between the rocker moldings and the lower door moldings to complete the "black out" look.

Bruce