wireless networking...

kc8oye

i have a situation where there are two buildings..

Building A has the internet connection and all in one switch/router/AP but the AP is in the basement making wireless access outside of it nearly impossible.

I want to extened the network into building B. .while running a cat-5 cable to building B is possible.. it's not practical.

so what I'm looking at doing is putting a wireless network bridge up high in building A and another wireless bridge in building B.. then connecting a stand alone WAP to the bridge in building A..

\

does this seem like a good way to go about it? it seems somewhat complicated to me... but moving the router isn't really feasible anyway. I was looking at using a high power bridge with an outside antenna to make sure the signal makes it.. building B is steel sided and roofed so I suspect an external antenna will be necessary..

My wireless network does pretty good. The router is sitting in the front part of the house and I can got out to the garage which is about 100' away from the router and still have service. I do have the taller antenna's on the router not sure if that your have anything to do with it or not. They also sale signal boosters as well Tim you might want to look into that as well.

• 2 weeks later...

You might try installing a new simultaneous dual-band wireless router as the 5GHz network would provide better service as there is less interference in that frequency range...

we looked at the options.. we're gonna go ahead with finding someone who can give us quotes on burying a cat 5 cable.

Is there a cat 5 that is available for 'direct bury' ?

although there are conduits between the buildings tha tthe power lines run thru, but I don't know how happy ethernet will be in that enviroment...

Tim I am not sure about direct bury Ethernet cable, but you could run a new conduit for real cheap if you are going to have to dig a small trench anyway... How far is the run?

One thing to consider is that there is a 290 ft limit to Cat5. They do make a direct bury Cat5e Direct bury Cat5e

We do not run Cat 5 between buildings. We use fibre between buildings it is not susceptible to lightning strikes and other electrical transients

you can run cat 5 a LOT further 100m. I know they say you can't. but i've personally done it.. and seen it done. it can affect speed a little bit.. but it works.

i haven't measured it exactly.. but I'd say we're pretty close to around 300ft.

this is basicly just a simple home network, we just want to extend internet to the barn, and beable to share files and printers back and forth.

i worked for k-mart corp. headquarters a few years ago when they did a big migration to a new IBM computer system. a couple of the stores had issues with their Fiber <-> ethernet 'translators' (cant' think of the right name) so they had to run cat 5 across the store.. well over 300 ft (which is why they were using fiber) and it slowed things down a bit.. but slow was better then off line smile

• 1 month later...

well after checking out all the options (some extremely expensive) we called the AT&T tech guy and discussed the problem with him.. after tweaking some settings, and relocating the router, we are able to get a 'barely useable' signal out to the barn straight from the house.

and thats with a laptop held at chest height.. we go up another 10-15 feet on top of the shop and we should have a good signal

I've found a high power router with detachable antennas .( 1 full watt, most routers are 1/4 watt or less)

and also for cost concerns, I'm going to try the $20 magmount antenna available from the same people. I think with that stuck to the peak of the roof, it should be able to establish a reliable link to the house, and provide WiFi to all the building around the shop smile

the router is $150.. $20 for the magmount..

the average built-in antenna for the average router seems to be around (2.2-2.5 dBi)

and if the mag mount (5.5 dBi) isn't enough, There is another external antenna with high gain (8dBi), that's $80 + $31 for a cable that will definately do the job smile

and if that's STILL not enough I go to a grid type antenna with INSANE (24.5dBi) gain :>

then i can always switch to a router with external antennas at the house too.

keep in mind that every 3 dB represents a doubling in power.

So Tim which router you all go with? Also did you make sure the computers are on the same letter like router and computers have a g wireless card or a n card? From what I have learned in my wireless networking class if the system aren't the same you will have issues. With my Linksys wireless setup mine rf power output is at 18dbm I'm running at 2.4 ghz wireless speed is 54mbps and hooked to the ethernet port I'm 100mbps. I switched out the small antennas for some 8dbm antennas which are also taller.

Every time I think I know a little bit about computers, I like to check in here and see how stupid I really am kicking

Its like Im reading into some foreign language that is still somehow English?

Ill stick to painting cars I guess crazy

• 2 weeks later...

there is already conduit running out to the barn, but running cat5e along side a 240v/200A circuit doesn't seem like the best idea. along with that, the conudit was not layed properly and it would be an incredibly expensive proposition to get someone to pull a wire thru it.

the other problem with the second account, is that we can't share data between the house and the shop, w/o getting into a bunch of VPN-type stuff... and the added monthly cost.

the router is an "O2Storm" 1-watt, does B and G, (none of the high power routers seem to support N) the average router output is 250mw (1/4 watt)

you can mix technologies ert.. so long as they are backwards compatible.. for example, my wireless router does B, G AND N and can handle them at the same time.

now if I locked the router down to 'n' only, then B AND G clients would have issues..

it depends on the router ert.. in the case of my router, it's capable of any 2 at once I think it is.. but since the high power routers don't support 'n' everything will be set up for 'g'

i problaby don't even need a high power router, but it seems to tbe only way to get a router with removeable antennas.

not on a dual channel router like mine allan.. one channel can run one while the other can run the same or different.. at least, that's how I understand it to work.

sorta like a 10/100 hub will slow to the slower speed, but a switch can go 10 or 100 on a per-port basis.

but everything will be running 'g' anyway. since the router isn't capble of 'n'