Front Coil Spring Question

I was wondering if there is a difference between the big block front coil springs and the small block front coil springs? And if so is there a source that I can use, such as other GM cars to find a set? I need big block springs. Mine seem to be sagging a bit. Or can you re-stretch your springs or not? Mainly I need to know if I currently have BB springs or if my car is sitting on a set of SB springs. Thanks for any help.

I think there are four different springs that could be used in a monte

small block no a/c

small block with a/c

big block no a/c

big block with a/c

check with your local parts store that carry MOOG parts

Sam bowtie.gif

I had good luck with the Hotchkis front springs for BB in mine, but the rear Hotchkis SUCKED, way too spongy in my opinion. I got Moog for the rear. Both brands seemed like quality items as far as fit and finish goes. I've never heard of anybody restretching springs, sounds dangerous.

I believe O-Riley autoparts carries the full line of Moog, or at least they have their full catalog in my city.

Alright, thanks. I didn't realize that you could still buy new ones. Sounds like the way to go. Seeing how I can do that, I'll just wait until I rebuild the front end before I worry about it. I thought maybe I'd have to start hunting the yards for a set.

If you go with a shim (inexpensive route) get the one that sits under the spring (like a puck) not one that inserts in the coils.

laugh

If Chevelles are any indicator, springs as installed originally by the factory could number dozens, as they took into consideration the option mix as well as engine/ac combos. They could even vary side to side I thouhgt. Also, I had thought F41 equipped vehicles added another dimension to this list?

Almost 20 years ago, I had a skilled GM parts counter person who looked up spring availability for my Monte. At that date, he found that GM numbered Monte SB/AC springs were the same as BB/nonAc springs. This was sometime around 1986. He found similar info when he was working on his 68 Camaro.

Anyone have a listing of factory springs from the '70's?

Best regards,

Tom

Well, I have a new twist to the topic. I bought a completely refurbished frame from front to back. I mean not one thing was left undone. Sand blasted, painted and all new components and ready for a tub. Now the only thing is I don't know if the front coils are for a SB or a BB? Any way to tell? I guess I could look at the BB car and see if there is any visable difference. Any suggestions?

John,I don't think you can tell by just looking at them.If your lucky they may still have a tag wrapped around the coil.There were many different coils from the factory. But in the aftermarket only four that i know of,as Sam has explained.

My opinion, go MOOG.and go big block!

Picture%20034.jpg?dc=4675556952952370776

My small block with bb/ac front coils!Gives you an idea how it will sit!

Mike

According to the GM restoration info for 1970 ...

" Front Springs

Selected from a family of springs by electronic data processing which identifies the correct springs for the weight of the vehicle including opional equipment ordered by the customer. "

There are 10 front spring part#s/assembly codes.There are 6 different wire diameters. I could post the wire diameters but they do not differentiate wire size to reference of BB or SB or other options .

The shortest spring is 17.17 inches free height with a deflection rate of 250 lbs per inch...probly SB 3 speed no A/C. The longest spring is 18.13 inch free height with deflection rate of 275 lbs per inch.,likley a an SS454 loaded up with extras .

Probly lots more info than you wanted , and nearly useless to boot. wink

I'd go by the MOOG applications. Also I have BB springs in my 70 SB , very happy with them as they keep the headers from dragging.

Mike

About 16 years ago I got GM springs for a 350 with A/C since mine had come down over the first 15 years. I don't have A/C and thought the ft end would have come down by now but it's still a bit too high for my taste.

Bruce

My springs have been in my car for 15 years,hasn't droped a bit.

Bruce ,your car sits very nice,i like it,looks good too!!!

Mike

I seem to remember Bruce saying that there is a 2X4 wedged in the control arm to get it sit that low for the pic??? Or am I off base again.. confused:P I put the Hotchkis 2 inch drop springs in mine and it still sits too high. mad

You could always put this QA1 system on your car, it`s the same one I put on my car.

You can slam it, go for that 4X4 look, or somewhere in the middle.

cool0009.gif

hal-gmp13.jpg

what I would worry about with those, is that you are depending on the lower shock mount, and that thin metal of the control arm to support ALL the weight of the front of the car eek

with the spring setting in the control arm, at least the weight is distributed over a larger area, that lower mount and where it bolts to the control arm, and how much it has to support doesn't leave me feeling warm & fuzzy :rolleyes:

Funny you said that Sam cuz I was thinking the same thing when I was installing it, which by the way is no harder than changing springs.

Someone did research on it before it was put into development I hope... lol

I actually seen one in a magazine that had that bottom shock bar mounted below the A-arm meaning the bolts and nuts were supporting the weight of the car, I couldn`t believe it... eek

McCall72...

Install? Like I said above just like changing springs.

Although that depends on how hard you would rate that, I`ve done it many times and it gets easier each time laugh .

Adjust? I`ve always taken the wheel off keeping no load on the spring, and with a spanner wrench (special tool that pivots and hooks that collar) you just turn it. Takes longer to jack up car and take wheel off then to adjust.

Adjusting the shock setting? I turn the wheels all the way to the right and then just reach in on the shock and turn the knob, can reach both sides with wheels in this position. wink