Question about 700R4 Tranny

McCall72

I have the toggle switch on my but dont use it as the trans company who did the trans said its only needed for towing or going up and down hills. If you go with a fuel injection setup like the tpi's the computer controls the lock up of the convert.

not using the lockup at steady cruise speeds will create a problem with excessive heat in the trans, if you are going to follow this M.O you better make sure you have a D@MN GOOD trans cooler! (you should have one anyway)

I use a toggle switch along with a brake pedal switch.. so if I have to hit the brakes in a hurry, I don't need to worry about the trans stalling the engine. (before I had the switch as I was slowing down, it would almost stall the engine as I came to a stop, then just before it did stall, the trans would drop back into 1st and unlock anyway, my 700 locks up in 2nd,3rd and 4th)

you can and will damage the torque converter clutch tryign to accelerate with it 'on' it's a veyr small clutch and was never designed to handle that much torque.. it's only intended to hold enough torque to keep you moving at a steady speed!

I do have the curise control brake pedal switch. I do run a trans cooler and its hooked in after it goes through the radiator. As far as heat goes my trans temp gauge which is in place of the factory drain plug stays at 160° with the lockup turned off. Now my mom's 07 tahoe its trans temp is 210° on a 17 mile ride. My trans cooler does not have a fan on it but it is mounted in front of the radiator and in front of the elec. fan on the back side of the radiator.

I never had a problem in the three years I had the switch. You just have to have your brain engaged when driving. It was nice to not have the hunting effect that all 700R4 tranny's do. Once you accelerate to speed and you know you are settled out just flip the switch. When in heavy traffic it was nice to not have the tranny going in and out of lock-up all the time. To each there own. Do your own research on what you want as we are all experts here.

Thanks for all the great tips, guys.

Back in my HVAC days we used alot of latching relay circuits.

I'm going with a latching relay and a momentary push button to energize the lockup, tied through the brakelight switch. This is a link to a latching relay circuit and the relay part #.

http://www.enemythunder.com/latchrelay.html

Love my 700r and 355 gears.

Jabo

I never had a problem in the three years I had the switch. You just have to have your brain engaged when driving. It was nice to not have the hunting effect that all 700R4 tranny's do. Once you accelerate to speed and you know you are settled out just flip the switch. When in heavy traffic it was nice to not have the tranny going in and out of lock-up all the time. To each there own. Do your own research on what you want as we are all experts here.

oddly enough.. I AGREE!!! lol. I'm no expert, but i trust what my trans builder told me. He even inspected my trans cooler setup before he's ok a warranty.. he wasn't happy with the idea of toggle switch..

I leave mine off almost all the time around town. just no reason to use it. then like he said.. once I'm up to speed on the freeway.. flip the switch and relax.

Thanks for all the great tips, guys.

Love my 700r and 355 gears.

Jabo

that's the exact setup I'm running.. it's just about perfect. I have 27.01" tall rear tires (255/60-15) and I run 2250 locked up in 4th. my 350 just LOVES to run right there on the freeway. right in the meat-and-potatoes of my torque curve smile

and they dont work too badly with my 26x10 ET DRAG slicks either :P~

I do have the curise control brake pedal switch. I do run a trans cooler and its hooked in after it goes through the radiator. As far as heat goes my trans temp gauge which is in place of the factory drain plug stays at 160° with the lockup turned off. Now my mom's 07 tahoe its trans temp is 210° on a 17 mile ride. My trans cooler does not have a fan on it but it is mounted in front of the radiator and in front of the elec. fan on the back side of the radiator.

That's good ert.. a temp gauge is best. obviously, you have enough cooler!

I know newer cars tend to run hotter.. and 210 is still 'ok' tho it's getting to the upper end of 'ok' smile

generally speaking, the trans likes the same operating temps as the engine.. 160 to 190°F get it above 230°F and bad things can start happening.