Help Replacing Pinion Seals

I think I need to replace my pinion seal and was wondering if I should do it myself, or take it somewhere. I have some fluid dripping from the front of the rear, so I am assuming it means a new pinion seal. The procedure does not sound too bad and the seal is cheap, so what do you think? Do I need any special tools, knowledge, etc. The manual mentions using a "extreme high pressure grease", but I have never heard of anything like that, and neither have the guys at the parts places. It also mentions taking steps to ensure proper tightening of the pinion nut, so as to not crush the new seal. Doesn't sound too bad, but I have never done one before? Anyone have some experience in this area?

Thanks,

Mike

Well,

when I changed the pinion and seal for my new driveshaft last year, I had to take the rear axle out. The pinion nut is on there with almost 300 ft lbs of torque. I needed a 6ft breaker bar to get it loose... frown

This is a fairly simple task.

First off with the car up on jack stands you should use a torque wrench to measure the turning resistance at the pinion ( force required to rotate axle assembly ). Mark the flange, flange nut and pinion with a paint marker to ensure they all go back on the same way.

Remove the pinion nut then the pinion flange ( may require some light tapping ) replace the seal, (lithium based wheel bearing grease in seal lip) replace the flange ( do not hammer it on! )

The book procedure would be to snug the nut back up and check the rotating resistance with the torque wrench tighten it a little more check etc. etc. until you get to the same reading you had before you took it apart. This is where that paint mark comes in handy, you can tighten the nut back up until the paint marks line back up maybe just a hair past that. do not over tighten it!!!

Think of the pinion bearings like front wheel bearings i.e. too tight it don't turn /too loose it rattles. This nut pinches the pinion bearings and a spacer (crush) sleeve between the pinion flange and the shoulder on the pinion gear. For reference only; it takes approximately 65 lbs of torque during initial assembly to set the pinion bearings to the proper preload when the axle is first put together.

Or plan B, take it to a shop and pay about $50 & hope they do it right.