Odd computer crashes

amsterdam84

I have a very odd crash that only occurs when the computer has been shutdown and allowed to cool. If I restart it it acts fine but if left say overnight it will crash on startup. Strange thing is, after I reset from the crash it's fine. Anyone have any thoughts?

P.s. It is a custom built computer that up to this point never did this before.

EDIT: I wrote this messege on my phone and had my computer off for the night. I turned it on this morning and had a shower and it had blue screened with the error MEMORY_MANAGEMENT. I have tested my ram with memtest for 12 hours with zero errors. Not sure what this could be as I haven't added anything new lately.

I went down that road two years ago, I went as far as replacing the power supply and the mother board(old power supply was a 400 watt unit & mother board was a winfast). For it would come up and say no os found on drive, so I would go back and reload the os and all the software I needed. Mike which os are you running?

I am running vista 32bit. E6750 core 2 duo. Asus p5n-e sli motherboard. 4x1gb ddr2 corsair ram. Bfg 8800 gt oc sli. 1 160 gb harddrive (os). Raid 0 2x500gb. This machine has been running for over a year with no problems. I started getting some bsod's around the time I added a wireless pci card. They seemed to have the error irql not less than equal. But they subsides now.

I am running vista 32bit. E6750 core 2 duo. Asus p5n-e sli motherboard. 4x1gb ddr2 corsair ram. Bfg 8800 gt oc sli. 1 160 gb harddrive (os). Raid 0 2x500gb. This machine has been running for over a year with no problems. I started getting some bsod's around the time I added a wireless pci card. They seemed to have the error irql not less than equal. But they subsides now.

Mike, dude, get out of the house and get some air.... grin

Sorry if I am stating the obvious, but make sure things like whatever add on cards like the wireless and video card are seated, FIRMLY.

I'm assuming you are running a SATA RAID and not using a SCSI card. But check your SATA cables, it doesn't take much for one of them to work loose.

Your symptoms sound strangely like a brand new Dell 2950 server I wrestled with for quite some time trying to figure out it's mysterious crashes.

One of the PCI risers was loose, and with just enough vibration, i.e. some one closing a rack door ..it would break connection and the server would crash.

Just a thought.

Yeah nothing like knowing what's under the "hood".

I have checked both video cards and did some cable management and made sure everything was seated and connected firmly.

As far as the wireless card, I have been hesitant to remove it as it is my only method of connecting to the Internet. I know I should remove and test but just haven't done that yet. Did I mention that I despise wireless Internet? Not gaming friendly. Oh and I don't want to go outside because the car is in storage and it's cold outside!

Originally Posted By: Reds72WMonte
okay...both of you go outside and get some air..... crazy

grin Building computers is just like building a car Davey...ya gotta get under that hood and tinker with them.. shifter

I'm just jealous of people that can speak more than one language...you, Mike, Allan.....geezzz...my hat's off to you guys, I get a headache just reading the descriptions.... crazy

Besides the whole get under the hood and tweak thing, I have a laptop in the garage that I do quite a bit of my surfing on. You never know when someone will come out with a better mousetrap. smile

I have all of my service manuals and store all of my pictures online so when I need reference there is much less grease on my books. smile Yes, my laptop has a cover over the keys. lolI practice safe computing. laugh

lol

Besides the whole get under the hood and tweak thing, I have a laptop in the garage that I do quite a bit of my surfing on. You never know when someone will come out with a better mousetrap. smile

I have all of my service manuals and store all of my pictures online so when I need reference there is much less grease on my books. smileYes, my laptop has a cover over the keys. lol I practice safe computing. laugh

Ahhh...I see!! So THAT'S what a "Trojan" is!??! whistle

oh my... you guys are so wrong on so many levels!!!

sounds like a loose connection somewhere to me.. make sure everything is tight..

Sue (leo's wife)'s computer got to where it would only run long enough to boot.. then crash.. and it wouldnt' restart unless it sat... I popped the cover off.. the plastic tabs on the cpu socket (it's the old socket 360 intel celery) that hold the cpu heat sink clip had broken away.. with no heat sink on the cpu it only took a couple minutes to overheat... I re-attached the heat sink with zip ties.. so far so good smile

how else do you attach a heat sink to a socket 360 when the plastic mounting tabs are broken off!?

I like my dell Dimension's setup. it's got a large fan in the front of the case, and a large duct the directs the air directly over the cpu's heat sink.. those big fans are quieter.. and seem to be a lot more reliable!

funny enough.. my dimension had a odd crash this morning I have xp pro SP3 it just locked up on me. wouldn't respond even to a 3 finger salute.. I hit the power switch.. it did what appeared to be a clean shut down (didn't just power down) when it came back up it complained about the volume being dirty and went thru the XP version of scandisk.. seems ok now.. had me a little worried there...

it's a P4 3ghz 'hyperthread' cpu (it's about 6 years old now) 3gb ram, SATA hard drive

this computer has been trouble free for the most part.. once I got rid of a couple of flakey .DLL's that I didn't use anyway..

i haven't defrag'd it in a while. .problaby wouldn't hurt smile

• 2 months later...

Sorry about dredging up an old post but I ended up moving to a new house and decided it was time to remove the wireless card. After further checking all connections it still crashes once when left off for a few hours. Tried pulling ram and running on single sticks, ram memtest and nothing.

On a side note this copy of Vista is actually meant for a Dell machine. Not sure if that makes a difference. It had run for over a year without any crashes or errors before this.