You Tube not working at times

stangeba

I've been having trouble getting many different You-tube videos to play. I'm running XP SP2 or 3 and Google's CHROME browser. I get a link in an E-mail, click on it and it just keeps spinning. Just changed from Comcast free McAfee to Comcast free Norton but still (at times) no luck.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Bruce

a) norton SUCKS. it's a hardcore system resource hog.. (not that McAFee is much better)

B) if you have comcast, that's your problem. Comcast and youtube dont' get along well.. I have all kinds of problems with youtube videos not loading well on comcast.

i've been real happy with AVG Free Edition allan..

I use a "hardware" firewall so I'm not worried about trusting windows to be a firewall for me...

network security is like car security.. you can only do so much.. if someone really wants thru bad enough, they will find a way. I try to stop the 'script kiddies' and leave it there.

I agree about Norton and Mcaflea, there both garbage. Have been for years. I've been using Avast free edition for the last several years. Has been pretty good. I read some of the reviews Microsoft Security Essentials and they are also pretty good. Haven't seen any posts as to Bruce's problem being solved?

Great input, thanks!

I was kind of assuming the anti virus software MAY be my problem but what other settings or problems could I look for, that prevent only SOME You-Tube movies from playing? Sometimes they also stop and I have to wait for it to catch up. My DELL PC is eight years old, perhaps it's time for a new faster one?

bruce.. how fast is your computer? how much ram? what o/s? you might be able to throw a cheap upgrade at it and get some more time out of it..

Leo was having a lot of problems with his computer, trying to run windows XP on on 512mb of ram.. we maxed his computer out to 2.0gb (all his machine would support) for $50, and it got a LOT better (along with some basic maintaince like a good defrag)

Processor Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.26GHz

Processor Speed 2.21 GHz

Memory (RAM) 1024 MB

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Operating System Version 5.1.2600

11.14 Mb/s Down load speed (Comcast cable)

0.96 Mb/s Up Load speed

Running Google Chrome because MS IE7 is slower and also won't play the same You Tube videos.

Defrag and all that stuff just done. Almost never crashes.

Thanks,

Bruce

I agree with Alan your computer is more than sufficient. I've used firefox for my browser for years now. It has a few quirks like starting slow and starting slow madbut other than that its been pretty good. I tried Chrome but went back to firefox.

you really should upgrade your ram to 3.0gb or the limit of the computer. which ever is less.. XP can't use mroe then 3.. so no reason to go higher..

At this point I'm not going to spend any money on it. If my worst problem is not seeing a few You Tube videos, I can live with that I guess. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Bruce