Sign in to follow this  
TN454Monte

Interest in Custom Fiberglass Hood / Poll

Trying to gauge any interest in a group order for a fiberglass hood from VFN.

I spoke to them back in January and they said they weren't doing any custom work at the time but expected to start back up in April.

Scot's (Hecking, and yes I stole it!!) Idea was a 442 Style hood with the front Ram Air Slots, grafted onto a Monte hood. He had a photo shopped picture at one time of how it would look but I lost it, but some of you probably remember it.

I thought it was so cool looking I even PM'd him to ask him where he had it done in hope of duplicating it. VFN when I talked to them said something like that shouldn't be a problem, and to call back in April.

I'll ask them about 2,3 & 4 inch cowls as well to see what they might be able to do if we can get a run of half a dozen or so made.

Sorry!! screwed the poll up by not putting the correct end date on please see below to vote....

Guest 72yellowmc,Robyn

I voted 442 .. love that look! maybe Scott can dig that pic up and post it here.... wink

I didn't vote as I don't need a hood but I did like the look of that 442 hood that Scott photoshopped onto his car a while... cool

I didn't vote as I don't need a hood but I did like the look of that 442 hood that scott photoshopped onto his car a while... cool

ditto

I voted foe the 442 hood as well... guess I shouldn't have though since I got my hood from VFN about a year and a half back... frown

Hopefully Scot will check in soon, and put up that photo shopped concept picture..I deleted the E-mail with that picture he had sent me.

Sorry guys, I struck out here I guess.

Just spoke to VFN, Thy will not be doing any custom work now until the end of April.

As far as getting a run of these hoods made, that's probably not something they are going to be interested in as they would have to have a custom mold cast and doing that runs some 10,000.00. Obviously working with small numbers like we are, that's not cost effective for them.

What they did tell me is that they CAN do a single hood as a custom piece when they start doing custom work again.

For a bolt on hood with the 442 scoops grafted on it, it would run about 900.00 (The same goes for the 2 and 3 Inch cowls as they are custom jobs) The scoops would be open but there would be no functional ram air connection like the 442 had from the factory.

Anyhow, I'll talk to them again at the end of the month and see if they are doing anything custom.

Thanks for trying. That is one problem with the small number of our cars out there.

No matter what style wins I say look somewhere else other than VFN. They screwed me royally on my hood and it's happened to a lot of folks, yet others have had no issues. Roll the dice if you want, but I'd do my homework.

I was sort of wondering the same thing, Greg.

Why talking to VFN for custom work?

Glasstek had actually been doing some custom work recently for some of our members, why not approach them?

I was sort of wondering the same thing, Greg.

Why talking to VFN for custom work?

Glasstek had actually been doing some custom work recently for some of our members, why not approach them?

No real reason Andreas, Honestly I wasn't aware of Glastek doing any custom work, I can give them a call and see what they say as well. VFN just seemed to have some good comments around here and other boards, so I thought I would talk to them about it.

No matter what style wins I say look somewhere else other than VFN. They screwed me royally on my hood and it's happened to a lot of folks, yet others have had no issues. Roll the dice if you want, but I'd do my homework.

That's the 1st I had heard of issues with VFN...What happened?

I would also say Glass Tech, I'm got a pin on hood and trunklid from them, excellent.

I had Glastek custom make a 2 3/4" Cowl hood for me. It is beautiful. Not installed yet but I have pics if interested. I though 4" was too tall and 2" (actually 1 3/4" b/copied from 69 camaro hood) was too small.

You can purchase flat hood, 6" cowl (with faint bodyline) and they will cut it down to any height you desire. I had them cap off the bottom of scoop so that I can make it functional. A bit pricey, but it is exactly what I wanted.

I have pics. Let me know your email and I can forward if interested.

Dan

Dan I agree, the 4 inch is too much for my tastes, that would be great to s what yours looks like, my email address is in my signature block.

And ohhh......I finally found that missing photo shop job of a 442 Hood that Scott made...(Yes ..I really need to organize my server since it seems like it takes me three days to find something anymore).

Monte-with-442-hood-copy.jpg

Sent the pics as requested. Glad you liked the way it looks.

Glasstek may be able to your Monte-4-2 hood a reality since they do make the 442 hood. I just emailed you back with a picture of it and link to Glasstek.

Call them and let us know how you make out.

Dan

Sign in to follow this