Help with possible virus

Monte7071

My dad has a alert that keeps popping up it says Resident Shield alert. Everything I have seen says it is a virus has anyone here had this and how did you remove it. One forum said to download malware remover but you had to buy it to remove the problem. He has AVG and it does not find the virus. Any help would be great. Here is a link to the pic that I had him snapshot. th_shield20alert20for20shawn2.jpg

If he has more than one user on the machine, log on with another user and then delete all of the temporary files for his normal user. Otherwise, start in safe mode, delete all temp files in C:\Windows\Temp and C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\Temp* and then go to "My Computer" and right click on the C:\ drive and select properties and run the "Disk Cleanup" tool on it and make sure all temporary files are deleted. Then go into control panel and look for any Anti Virus programs that should not be installed. It might be something like AV 2010 or some sort of Security Scanner.

Once that is uninstalled go to C:\Program Files and look for folders for that program that you just uninstalled and delete it. Back to the control panel and go to Internet Options and make sure you delete all history, temporary files and Cookies.

Then reboot. It will appear to be fine for a while but this would be a good time to go download malware bytes and run it.

Then when your all cleaned up, go get a good AV and Anti Spyware program. Microsoft Essentials is free and does a good job at getting rid of these pests but it is Microsoft so who knows how long before they screw that up too.

ditto You can also visit Microshaft's web site, under the security center they generally have various applications for AV software, I've used CA (Computer Associates) Anti Virus program in the past with great success, low overhead and works well on XP. It also is free for the 1st 12 months.