Take a guess!

overdrive

I tried this out Fri night on an empty, closed highway.

I was wondering how fast my 70 SS would go in second gear with the original 2.56 rear gears. I had guessed about 85 or 90 at 5000 rpm. Tires are 255/60/15s. I ran it up to 5k and then shifted and shut it down. I wonder what the top end would be? Does anyone here know for sure? grin Seriously, I'm not going to try that.

The Holley carbed motor is bored .030 and has an unknown performance cam with headers. I don't know much more as it was in the car when I bought it 2 yrs ago.

Dan

I've heard 140 MPH is easy in SS 454 with 2:56s. Thats what I've heard, from someone who had one a long time ago.

There is not telling how fast it would actually go if you had the suspension and tires to support that kind of speed, time to go pro touring style. grin

The Sky is the limit.... Origionally NASA considered using one as the origional space shuttle but walked away from that idea because they were afraid with all that power it would overshoot our galaxy and transport them into a galaxy far far away..

In an honest response to your question, I don't know, maybe those with 454's installed could respond with how fast they have had theirs up to.

rob

I ran my C5 Corvette up to 140 several times. Top end is 160. Newer vettes are even higher. I could not imagine doing that in a First Generation Monte unless someone dropped it and put a front spoiler or air dam on it. Cars tend to lift or fly at that speed.

I ran my C5 Corvette up to 140 several times. Top end is 160.

Actually it is 173 or 176 I forget, it's right in the brochure... smile

I have had my C5 up to 157 and it was smoooooth sailing.

It's not likely I'll run the Monte over 100. I know how loose these cars can get at high speeds, but I think with the gears and HP it's capable of running at least 135, but not with me in it. grin The speedometer only goes to 120. Someone would have to have an aftermarket speedo or a GPS to check the top end.

When I shifted into third at 5k the other day, the speedo showed 100. grin

Mike and Bill make a very good point. If the car is not set up to be going that fast I would not attempt it. Not only would the car need to be set up properly but it would scare me to do something like this on an open road. Not only because of the other traffic but taking the condidion of the road into the mix would be important.

Rob

Wind resistance and lift at 150 mph would be scary if your car is not set-up for it... eek

I seem to recall a story about a first gen Monte clocked on a highway in Canada doing 240 km/h (150 mph) a few years ago...

Needless to say, the guys car was impounded....

I think it depends on the trans. I know Bowtie Overdrive shows where a 2.73 and a 700r4 can get into the 200mph range. Using my information i see where first gear is good for 60mph second gear tops out at 105mph and thrid carring you to 153mph. That is for a turbo 400 wot with255/50/26 and a 2.73 rear. Using your information first gear is still 65 mph second gear is 115 mph and third gear is 170 mph.

I would think second gear would top out somewhere around 100mph. I know at 80 mph my 70 SS will downshift to second if you step into it hard. It has the factory drivetrain including the 2.56 rear end. Back when I had my 72 I was following a guy on my way down to college. around 110-120 mph that car started getting awful light in the front end. You could really notice it on long sweeping curves.

We have a long shut down at my track so a couple times I stayed on the gas after hitting the finish line to see how fast I could get my car up to. I'm crossing the line at 114 mph and hitting 6,000 rpm, I hit my overdrive button and easily got it up to 135 or 140 mph (judging roughly by how far past the 120 mark I was) then had to hit the brakes.

My gearing calculates out to the car capable of going 155 mph...I would think I have enough hp to hit 150...shocked.gif

Allan, this is in my second post, 2 before your first one:

Quote:
When I shifted into third at 5k the other day, the speedo showed 100. grin

Dan

I dont know in a first gen but I had a 75 Monte that I had at 120 and it was floating. The fastest I have been is 135 in my Eclipse. Oh and for those who know there second gen Montes they will say a 75 had a 100 mph speedo but I swapped it out of a 74.

I got mine up to "N" on the gear selector about 8 years ago. I'm guessing 135-140. 454, TH400 with 2.73 rear. No hood on the car, probably could have gone faster with less wind resistance, but maybe it would have taken flight.

I used to routinely hit 90 in 2nd gear, so I'm sure it could get up to 100 before shifting.

I've had mine to 100 quite a few times, and the fastest I've ever taken it is 110. After that I was running out of road... and nerve!

A magazine called Car Life tested a '70 SS454 when new back in the day, and it was equipped with a 2.73:1 rearend gear ratio. That test car shifted 1st-2nd at 63mph (5,450rpm), 2nd-3rd at 105mph (5,450rpm), and topped out at 132mph (4,600rpm). Vehicle aerodynamics are a big factor when top speeds get up that high.

smile

Dave