Re; 72 SS

Thumper72

I know....I know... but we got this clown that comes to the local car shows SWEARS his 72 is an SS 454 and passes it off as such. I haven't called him on it as he is a loudmouth know it all and I'm not one to start a war at a car show. He claims that only 271 were built in 72. I haven't checked the VIN yet as I try to stay away from him and his BS, but I suspect it is a smallblock car just like ours. Is there even a remote chance it's possible?

He won't join this site ( I wonder why?) probably because he don't want to know the truth.

"W" would indicate a 454 car, and look for signs of it being a Custom...

Beltline Trim, Sport Mirror, special steering wheel thats says Chevrolet, F-41 Suspension(large front sway bar and rear sway bar).

U would indicate a 402 Big Block, J a 350-4 barrel, H- 2barrel 350.

What engine does he say the car has now? And no way its a 72 SS.

He swears its all original which I know is BS. It's not a Custom..I looked it over first time I seen it and it dosen't have the Custom parts. Next time I see it I'll check the VIN.

I knew it was bogus when I seen it, I just wanted to make sure I had my facts straight.

Thanks for reaffirming my sanity.

I hate when people dont know anything about their car but will argue to their grave that they know everything......where is he..Ill call him out..Ill call his bluff....

What I like to do with people like that is not even acknowledge them but instead when I am looking at their car with friends I will point out to my friends the errors in their way. For instance just make sure this guy is in earshot and tell your friend that there were no 72 SS made but they did do customs. Then you can further explain why this one doesn't appear to be a custom and by the vin whether or not it is a big block car. Then if he tries to contradict you it will open up the conversation for you to set him straight.

Unfortunately it happens quite often.

My main concern is for the unknowing buyer than runs across these cars along with all of the 70 and 71 advertised as SS's that many times are far from it.

The few sellers that i have talked with seem totally oblivious to the tell signs and are extremely defensive. Wonder why?

You gotta sneak a peak at that VIN and look for the W like Jared said - then you would at least know its a real 454.

Either way, no SS 72s have ever been revealed my 24 year FGMC addiction.

I think its time to squash his pipe dream, before others get corrupted........

I just seen the car again tonite at a cruise -in. He had the VIN covered where you couldn't see it....LOL. It's white with a tan top and he told me that there were only 12 72's made with a tan top.....I had to call BS on that as I seen a heck of lot more than 12 with tan tops.

He priced it to a guy tonite for....get this....35,000 dollars!

I about spit coke all over the place. This just gets better and better...

1. Ask him where the air compressor is.

2. See if he knows where they mounted.

3. Does it even have a 12 bolt rear?

4. Check the fan shroud to see if it's for a small block or a big block.

5. Does it have a TH400 or TH350?

6. Maybe he'll let you check out the VIN

7. You could tell him to check out this site and post some pics of his very rare car. Maybe he would want to try to sell it here. I'm sure someone would educate him. grin

Dan

look to see if it has boxed lower control arms and a rear sway bar...'72 W cars had them...see if you can tell if it has a 3/8" fuel line...at least that would be a big block...

Dagnabbit! My 72 had a tan vinyl roof originally before I took it off during the restoration...looks like there are only 11 left now. Tell the guy to add an extra 5-8 grand to his asking price.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey now...my 72 w code, special order black, convertable, 4spd, ls6, air ride, hurst shifted, through a "munson" 8 speed, 14 bolt, posi with factory slicks and cool air cleaner decal must ne worth alot more than 35k...how do you post e-bay ads??

I hate the b.s.

Build whatever you want, but dont try to pass it off as something it's not. I would probably buy a 350 car converted into a 454 with options and "cool options" over an original 100 point resto. That's my taste. To each their own, but I get real uppitywhen its supposed to be a "rare" factory car and the "seller" hides the proof. Heck, we all have heard of people that took a rare car, added options it wasn't "born" with the correct way, did not hide this fact, and still got what the car was worth...so why play these games to try to dupe somebody?? Heck..I'm as greedy as the next guy...but i also own a mirror......

Build whatever you want, but dont try to pass it off as something it's not...we all have heard of people that took a rare car, added options it wasn't "born" with the correct way, did not hide this fact, and still got what the car was worth...so why play these games to try to dupe somebody?? Heck..I'm as greedy as the next guy...but i also own a mirror......

Well put, Jim. A cool car is a cool car, and being straight-forward about it enhances that fact.

smile

Dave

hijack

reminds me of the guy I met at Dream Cruise last year that said..."those are SS tail lights" nutz I politely asked... "what makes them SS ?" I didn't get a answer rofl

Actually Sam, those are "SS" tail lights you have. The "SS" stands for "Super Shiney!" lol

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've been beer today and even though my wife said no , I kicking and cry2 and posted it anyway. I'm nutz that way.

My view is to let them rant on. I would advise someone as to the true nature of the car only if I was asked. Of course, this asumes that I know the true nature of the car. Some of you might remember me (favorably or unfavorably) as Sgt Ed of the SS454 Police. Yea, been away work'n on old GMs. Ed

hijack

reminds me of the guy I met at Dream Cruise last year that said..."those are SS tail lights" nutz I politely asked... "what makes them SS ?" I didn't get a answer rofl

roflkickinglol

Also ask him if he has the ss fan shroud and the discombobulater valve and see if he says yea i got all that then ask hime if he has the ss tilt release lever that says ss on the end!

Actually Sam, those are "SS" tail lights you have. The "SS" stands for "Super Shiney!" lol

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've been beer today and even though my wife said no , I kicking and cry2 and posted it anyway. I'm nutz that way.

actually Nate they are SH lights Shiny Hiney roflrofl