rear bumper side pads

allchevy

Has everyone been installing these two rubber pads at the end of the rear quarter panel where the bumper fits? Mine are not in the best of shape. I'd like to install them but haven't found any after market. Any Ideas?

Has everyone been installing these two rubber pads at the end of the rear quarter panel where the bumper fits? Mine are not in the best of shape. I'd like to install them but haven't found any after market. Any Ideas?

If your referring to these? I don't know of any one making them yet!

DSC_1721Large.jpg

AMS5250-med.jpgOPGI

the other rubber pads..the ones around the taillights are made aftermarket. I believe the ones you speak of were only common to 70s' only...maybe someone else will chime in.

ditto

No one is making the "L" peices for the 1970. But you may could find some thick rubber and make something yourself, I've given it some thought, just hadn't found big large peice of thick rubber yet lol.

I really think they help the looks of a car and give it a more finished look IMO.

I may try to open mine up from the back side and replace the rusted metal inside. Since I haven't looked at them for awhile, I'm not sure how well it will work, but I have nothing to lose. They're not useable now.

Dan

Don,

To the best of my knowledge, these were a 70 Monte item only and then discontinued after that. The main thing that causes them to go bad is moisture gets into the center around the screw holes and causes the metal to rust and swell.

I worked with mine and the holes were enlarged due to deteriation. I cleaned them up as best I could and then reattached them with a large washer. Since it is only the outer 1/2 inch that shows if you can get that part looking nice just do the best you can with what you have.

If they are totally unusable check with Leo, he would be the best soruce.

Rob

Thanks, I'm still looking for the other one. I'll decide then what to do. I'm bringing all my parts up to the shop this week and look over everything.

Honestly, if I had known what I know now about a 70 restore I don't think I would have done it.

If people knew how hard it is to get parts for these cars that alone should bring the price up.

Never mind just ragging!