SS 454 air ride shock part #s??

ratchetmaster

Does anyone know the part # for the air ride air shocks that came on the Monte Carlo for 70-72?

I looked through some of my old notes and I believe the GM part number is 22003117. Anyone verify?

~ Z

Nasty Nate, that is the part number in my assembly manual. I called Big Bill at Chevy and even with micro fish he could not get a Delco number from the GM number. Can anyone say Gabriel HighJackers puff canned grey?

Andy

Looking in the Chevelle restor book looks to be 3859407-8 that is the only time i see the protector plates listed. I know we have a pair out in the garage that came off the El Camino but I was unable to find them. I know your probably wondering why they arent on the car well due to the shocks being moved they would not fit in the stock place.

Hey

thanks for the responses guys.

A guy has some with this: Delco P/N P3045C but he is not sure what they came on. I am thinking these were add-ons and not part of a gm installed system.

Another number on them is 3186376.

Date code of 155-71.

The valve hose connections are positioned up and down and not to the sides.

Any thoughts?

This site has some interesting on the add-on pleasur-ride system.

http://justacarguy.blogspot.com/2009/02/delco-pleasur-lift-air-shocks-1969-1970.html

I believe 22003117 was the last cataloged number I had found. It may have been the latest number that GM was using until they stopped selling them.

As for the Delco equivalents, I have:

Front Shocks - Delco P/N 530-1 ("Premium Gas Shock")

Rear Shocks - Delco P/N 504-11 ("Load Leveling Air Shock")

When I was restoring my '70 SS, I ordered the Delco shocks and the rears are indeed air shocks, but are black and not grey. The cost at the time, from AC Delco, was $52.12 for the fronts and $136 for the rear. RockAuto.com carries them as well and they're slightly less expensive there. There is also an AC Delco P/N P501 adapter kit "required for automatic level control," but I have in my notes that it's not needed. However, I may have written that because I didn't end up using a load leveling system in my SS, so it may indeed be required.

~ Z

YOUR IN LUCK , I SAVED THE ORIGINALS FROM MY CAR AND IT READS AS FOLLOWS. SUPERLIFT 251 69 3197338 DELCO PRODUCTS DAYTON OHIO. I BOUGHT NEW AC DELCO ONES FROM ROCKAUTO.COM. THERE NOT NOS THERE MADE IN VENEZUALA AND THERE RED

YOUR IN LUCK , I SAVED THE ORIGINALS FROM MY CAR AND IT READS AS FOLLOWS. SUPERLIFT 251 69 3197338 DELCO PRODUCTS DAYTON OHIO. I BOUGHT NEW AC DELCO ONES FROM ROCKAUTO.COM. THERE NOT NOS THERE MADE IN VENEZUALA AND THERE RED

Well, the AC Delco ones I purchased were definitely not red they were black, although I didn't order from RockAuto.com at the time -- I ordered directly from AC Delco, if memory serves. And they definitely weren't made in Venezuela.

To the OP, if you look on eBay you may come across some originals or you may not. I looked for over a year all over the internet and called various Chevy dealerships and didn't find any NOS shocks.

Here's a previous post about this. Click here

My new Delco shocks are black and they are not built the same as the originals. They have a metal sleeve that comes down over the rubber air bags and the originals didn't.

Dan

good information . . . not sure what is what yet?

Dan

the link to the previous post is not working.

Dan, it's true the Delco shocks are not identical to the ones that came on the Montes back in the day, but they will work with the load leveling system. You can paint them grey, but they're not "correct." Finding used original shocks in good shape or NOS shocks is difficult to say the least, so the Delcos are probably your best bet unless you are going for a concours restoration.

Are you looking for 100% correct or close enough?

~ Z