71 350 trans leak

ejw71

This is a different leak problem than the one I explained in another post. The car is on level ground and I can see auto trans oil dripping to the ground. This leak will reduce trans oil by about three quarts in about 1-2 weeks. I traced the leak to where the filler tube enters the case. I'm certain the filler tube has an "O" ring on it. The trans cooling lines and the exhaust pipe prevent me from seeing actually where the oil is coming from. Maybe the "O" ring has gone bad, doubtful as trans was rebuilt two yrs ago. Suspect the case is cracked where the filler tube retaining bolt enters case. Now have a mechanics mirror to view the area. Ed

Sometimes it's hard to see the light-colored fluid running across the aluminum trans case. Wash the area well with brake-kleen and make sure it's dry, then dust the area well with baby powder. You should be able to trace the source of the leak then.

get rid of that pesky old filler tube. TCI All TCI filler tubes use the improved boot-type seal as opposed to the old, leak-prone o-ring style. One of mine had a hair line crack in the area of the o-ring, and no matter if it had a new o-ring it would leak. I'd park the car in the garage and before I knew it the xmsn fld would run down the floor beyond the garage door. lol What a pain in the [censored]. mad