VINYL TOP PROTECTION?

Hi all...

For those of you with vinyl tops...

-) What do you use to clean it?

-) What do you use to keep it protected and/or shiny?

I have done a quick research of the web...and have come up with a whole bunch of "goodies" to supposedly keep the roof clean/shiny...

Armor all, Pledge, shoe shine, baby oil, Megauiars, Mothers, you name it...etc...

Well...I had the new black vinyl top put on the 70 last year, literally the day before the Western Meet...and I would like to have it kept clean and shiny...as we are going to DRIVE the car to Oregon, and I wanted to protect it before we leave next week.

Anybody have any suggestions for me? Crazy Davey...when we were in Las Vegas with you, I noticed that the black vinyl on your NOW (WOW!) 10.43 Chevelle is PERFECT! I thought that I had mentioned that to you and asked you what you had done...but for the life of me...I can not remember what you had told me?

Thanks all!

Hey Rodney...the top on the Velle is 6 years old, I put that on after I got the car because it made me snow blind to look at all that white...

Nothing special, just keep it clean (soap and water). It's always been garage kept so the top doesn't get much abuse. I'm sure everyone has their favorite topping but I use good old Armor All. I did the top before the track this weekend, only the third time in 6 years....just keep it clean and don't let it bake in the sun and it will be fine. Red's car still has its original top and it looks pretty good....Davey

I don't use anything, I just keep it clean (soap and water). It is stored in the garage all the time and rarely gets out in the rain.

Guest ls65spd

I am interested in this topic also.

My car is black with a black top and it is tough to get the top to look as good as the new paint looks. There really is nothin like new black paint if it has been done right.

As with so many other comments here my car does not see much time in the sun so the top is not weather beaten. The top is not original, it has been on the car about 10 years. Previously I had a 67 GTO witha factory top and the color was JET BLACK. This thing on the MC just does not match up to that standard.

What is good for restoring the black color? Because the car is garaged and only diriven on weekends I am not really hung up about protecting the top...I just want to get "back to black"! I am not prepared to replace the top and I don't want to mess with any sort of dyes. So far I have tried some of the products on the market and found that they seem to last only a short time, some even wash off and or film up the paint. THose of you with black paint know it looks GREAT when clean but that it is a PIA to keep clean. I need some thing that will stay put on the top and get me back to a real black look.

Sometimes I wonder if the thing needs a REALLY deep cleaning...I usually wash the car with warm water and your garden variety car soap. What is a good cleaner to use on these tops to get things really clean? I don't want to go to the lengths of a gritty cleanser but before I resort to somethinglike tire black I am thinking that a deep cleaning might be in order.

Please keep the ideas coming as far as products that might work in my situation to both clean this thing and then restore the black.

I had the off white top and I used a magic eraser like you'd find at the grocery store. Not sure if that damages the vinly but it cleaned it up REAL nicely

I'd say it damaged it Pink....

IMG00189-20100716-1644.jpg

eek

Originally Posted By: Arsin
I had the off white top and I used a magic eraser like you'd find at the grocery store. Not sure if that damages the vinly but it cleaned it up REAL nicely

I'd say it damaged it Pink....

IMG00189-20100716-1644.jpg

eek

Now the vinyl has almost receeded as much as your hair line..... devil

it's not receding Pink...it just turned clear..... wink

nutz Looks like you got your clear coat and conditioner mixed up homie. I'm sure one of these many Monte afficanado's can come up with a carpet color code that matches your natural hair color so we can do a little patch job wink

sadly I've been to all the hair restoration shops, they tell my hair is out of production. So unless I can find some NOS hair on Ebay I'll probably have to go with some Chinese repo junk. Been thinking though, tattoo's are all the rage, maybe I'll just get a hair tattoo.... eek

sadly I've been to all the hair restoration shops, they tell my hair is out of production. So unless I can find some NOS hair on Ebay I'll probably have to go with some Chinese repo junk. Been thinking though, tattoo's are all the rage, maybe I'll just get a hair tattoo.... eek

Truth be told, my home boy told me the other day I was "losing my crown". Maybe we should get FGMCC tats in plaace of hair LOL. I'm gonna have to request MOD status before I make that kind of commitment. That way i can delete half YOUR posts LOL since their usually at me expense

hijacklol

I clean mine with Murphys oil soap and use good ol Armore All,the thing is you cant let the Armore All cake up you have to clean it off before putting more on, hence the oil soap.Also garage kept so not much abuse.

I've used different products on my 40 year old top from the use of vasline leaves the top shine and stick stay off of dirty roads. Currently I've been using Meguiar's Supreme Shine® Protectant it has a real nice smell to it and leaves the top shine but not sticky. Used to use this Nu Vinyl Protectant but can't find it around here. My top ain't the org. top for my car it came off another Monte we got for parts so it sit for years in the weather but it looks as good as a new top from time to time. Armore all leaves a oil look on paint when it runs.