Pro-Touring '72

quarterbooty

Love the way your going with the Monte, this is exactly the plan I had for mine. Maybe an ls motor but that is still up in the air. I am just being held up by college! lol

Also I did end up calling vintage air and the PN for the passenger side hard line is 091170 (can be found on summit racing) in case anyone else was wondering.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a few other minor changes while the car was out of commission. I replaced all of the body mount bushings with poly urethane from Energy Suspension. I got all new hardware including the proper sleeves from OPGI. I know they've received a bad rap in the past, but I've good experiences with them here recently.

I swapped transmission pans from a cast aluminum Art Carr to a fabricated aluminum pan from PTS Xtreme. For those that aren't familiar with 200-4Rs, the fluid pickup is on the topside of the filter. The PTS design includes a revised pickup tube and filter that feeds from the bottom like TH350s and TH400s. A little piece of mind for hard acceleration. I didn't manage to take any photos of the install, but it turned out nice. The best part is it doesn't leak.

Finally, I copied the headlights from Stielow's Mayhem Camaro. They're Truck-Lite 27270C LEDs. They weren't cheap, but I think it gives the front end a more aggressive look.

DSC_0253.JPG

DSC_0254.JPG

I drove it at night for the first time yesterday, and they throw a lot of light. I still need to adjust them some more to get the pattern correct.

Nick

Lights look good, how was the wiring ?

The connections are easy. There is a pigtail with an H4 connector that plugs right into the factory harness. No cutting or splicing required. They also fit into the headlamp buckets with out modification either.

27270C-hr.jpg

Nick

DSC_0222.JPG

Nick

in this pic why is there a poly ring around the inside of only one of the bushings on the rear end.. I got these with my bushings but didnt know if I was supposed to use them???

• 4 months later...

This car is stunning and is everything I want out of mine! I don't have a whole lot of money but I'm trying to take steps in getting my monte going in the same direction. would you have any tips or any advice? i also want to know what size wheel/tire your running in the rear. I want to go with a deep sitting wheel like you'd see on a lot of other pro touring cars. Thank you

• 3 weeks later...

Quote:

in this pic why is there a poly ring around the inside of only one of the bushings on the rear end.. I got these with my bushings but didnt know if I was supposed to use them???

Sorry for not replying sooner. I haven't been here in a while and wasn't subscribed to my own thread either! As for the polyurethane ring, it was removed before installation. I'm not sure what the purpose of the rings is. In any case, I replaced the polyurethane bushings I had in the housing with rubber bushings provided by DSE.

This car is stunning and is everything I want out of mine! I don't have a whole lot of money but I'm trying to take steps in getting my monte going in the same direction. would you have any tips or any advice? i also want to know what size wheel/tire your running in the rear. I want to go with a deep sitting wheel like you'd see on a lot of other pro touring cars. Thank you

Thanks. You can make a lot of improvements without breaking the bank. Start out with a good set of coil springs (Hotchkis, DSE) and monotube shocks (Bilstein, Koni). Next, I recommend addressing the front-end geometry with a tall spindle like the Speedtech ATS AFX or tall Howe ball joints from SC&C to get negative camber gain on bump. Sticky tires will add significant handling improvement as well. These are just a few suggestions to look into. There are tons of options out there, so do as much research and ask as many questions as you can before buying anything.

As for my rear wheel and tire combo, it's an 19x10 wheel with 5.5" of backspace. The tire is a 285/35/19. I narrowed my rear end to reduce the backspace, which increases wheel lip. The rear end can't be narrowed much more without affecting the lower control arm mounting brackets.

There are two hoop styles that you can go with that will affect appearance. A flat or smooth lip (also called reverse outer lip by some manufacturers) will tend to make the depth to the wheel center appear greater. You can see this type on the Rushforth wheels that I used to have. A stepped lip design is the other design and is what my Formula 43 wheels are built around. The stepped lip is a more performance oriented look, but may not appear as deep upon quick glance. Just something to consider when shopping for wheels.

Nick

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

It's been a long time since my last update. As I mentioned earlier, I bought an LS7 and managed to sell the 383 and TH200-4R. I've spent the past several months making changes to the engine (wet sump conversion, cam swap, rocker upgrade, etc.), getting it installed, doing all the ancillary work (wiring, plumbing, painting), and converting the car to a manual (LGT700). It's been a long road, but I finally got it running last week. I'm controlling everything with a Holley Dominator ECU, which is an impressive piece of hardware. I'm waiting on a driveshaft from The Driveshaft Shop to get it on the road. I'll post up more information and progress pics, but here are a couple of crappy cell phone pics in the meantime.

IMG_1585.JPG

IMG_1555.JPG

• 10 months later...

I have a 72 Monte almost the same color mine in PPG cinnamon bar red.... I've decided to run almost this exact setup tubular control arms stock disk spindle cts-v brembo calipers camaro SS 14"'rotors 1-15/16 sway bar qa1 ds502 coil over 17" entended 11-5/8" compressed the stock a body uses 15 extended 10.5 compressed coil overs I'm running the longer stroke coil over for the extra inch in ride height I'm running a 24"x10" front wheel with 255/30/24 tires I also elected to run the 550lb qa1 10" spring I'm waiting on the new control arm hardware and the pin kit for my caliper should have the front setup installed by end of the weekend can't wait going to be running the same setup out back qa1 coil overs with 14" rear disk and 4 piston brembo calipers umi boxed lowers and tubular upper control arms. And the hydroboost setup by the end of this summer....next year I'll be installing the new 383 510 hp turn key crate engine and that will be it the car is done interior got gutted in summer of 2014 and redone to factory vin correct black bench seat interior top to bottom and a 1100 watt 5 ch amp with one jl audio w6 12" sub in the trunk Mabey eventually a pro charger and blow through carb in winter of 2016

• 1 year later...

I have a 72 Monte almost the same color mine in PPG cinnamon bar red.... I've decided to run almost this exact setup tubular control arms stock disk spindle cts-v brembo calipers camaro SS 14"'rotors 1-15/16 sway bar qa1 ds502 coil over 17" entended 11-5/8" compressed the stock a body uses 15 extended 10.5 compressed coil overs I'm running the longer stroke coil over for the extra inch in ride height I'm running a 24"x10" front wheel with 255/30/24 tires I also elected to run the 550lb qa1 10" spring I'm waiting on the new control arm hardware and the pin kit for my caliper should have the front setup installed by end of the weekend can't wait going to be running the same setup out back qa1 coil overs with 14" rear disk and 4 piston brembo calipers umi boxed lowers and tubular upper control arms. And the hydroboost setup by the end of this summer....next year I'll be installing the new 383 510 hp turn key crate engine and that will be it the car is done interior got gutted in summer of 2014 and redone to factory vin correct black bench seat interior top to bottom and a 1100 watt 5 ch amp with one jl audio w6 12" sub in the trunk Mabey eventually a pro charger and blow through carb in winter of 2016

Do you have any pics of your ride??

• 11 months later...

Very nice... :cool:

Question though...I never seen a rear spring set-up like that before, actually I didn't think it was possible...I see the factory location of the rear spring is gone and the car is now riding on the original shock mount (I see it has some sort of extra bracket) via those coil-overs...is that safe?

IMG_0322.JPG

Looks to be the same bracket set up I have on my Global West rear coil over conversion.