WESTERN MEET FINALE

72-CLASSIC_RIDE

Hey all,

Tried to post a brief overview last night of the WM and experienced problems attaching pic's. The pic's seemed to have resolved themselves, so here are a few highlites. Once everyone gets settled in back home I am sure the board will lite up with all the details.

My adventure started by meeting up with Aaron (Canuck), Jake (ShadowgraySS) and Chris (Montecruiser) in Portland, Oregon for the final leg of the journey to The Dalles, Oregon Thursday afternoon. I met all three at a predetermined location in Troutdale, OR. where everyone stretched their legs before continuing on. Jake was experiencing some car difficulties along the way but did not prevent him or us from arriving at the Meet. The weather was beautiful all the way to The Dalles and it was a treat tagging along with them.

There were a few others already there and greetings were exchanged. More cars arrived as the evening progressed with everyone introducing themselves. The bulk arrived Friday that quickly filled up the parking lot. All in all I think there were a total of 20 Montes in attendance. In fact, as Thursday ended there were 4 1970's, 4 1971's and 4 1972's. The 1972 Model year represented the most once all had arrived with 8 cars.

Friday saw more arrivals with many spending time prepping their cars and enjoying each others company. The Neon Cruise was the highlite Friday evening cruising thru downtown The Dalles. It involved all types of cars and was enjoyed by a large number of car enthusiasts from all over.

Saturday morning we all headed out together for the car show held at a nearby County park. It was impressive watching 20 Montes climb the hill to the show. We were able to group all of us at one location where we could look over each others rides and talk amung each other. I believe there were around 240 cars in attendance. 2 individual awards were given and 1 group award by the sponsoring Car Club association to the FGMCC club. They were very gracious hosts of this event.

Saturday evenings finale was the WM banquet where all enjoyed the food, drink and each others company. I'll let others fill in the blanks.

Sunday some attended another car show in Dufur, Oregon a short distance away while others headed straight to the track for some racing excitement. Crazy Davies better half (Red) and Tim (sorry can't remember handle) represented the FGMCC proudly during the eliminations. (Pic's attached)! It was a very hot day. WE must have been less than a mile from the Sun!!

It was time to head back home that afternoon, said my goodbyes and reflected on the previous days events during the ride home. As I was driving home solo and this was my real first test of the car, I was apprehensive during the ride home and went uneventful.

A special THANKS to Aaron (CANUCK) for his tireless and unselfish efforts to see that the WM was enjoyed by all. I just can't express enough appreciation for such a wonderful JOB!!!

Also, my appreciation to everyone for being such a OUTSTANDING group of people who made my first Meet a very homey comfortable feel and one that I will never forget.

Until next year guys,

WM BANQUET GROUP PIC:

2010GROUPPIC.jpg

REDS HOLE SHOT:

REDS72.jpg

TIMS PEDAL TO THE METAL:

TIM.jpg

All have a GREAT day.......

Doug

We need more PICS!!!! smile

Wow...what a beautiful back drop....looks like great weather.

So what did the Monte's run?

Steve

The drag strip was a runway at the local regional airport...no VHT, no prep, it was not a good day! Tim wasn't even allowed to heat his drag radials with any type of burnout! The length was not even an 1/8 mile....it was longer by far! There was no MPH, no 60's, nothing but a Finishline ET

Speaking for myself, I had a total of three runs. First pass was a 9.72 and the second was a 9.48. Third pass I experienced vaper lock half way thru second gear hence no ET {I was eliminated}. Air temp was over a hundred degrees. There was no track prep {vht} No burnouts allowed of any kind on street tires. No prestage light just a stage light. No mph. I guessed my mph hour was about 85 to 90 because the shift light '5200 rpm' was staring at me in third gear near the end of the "8th" The track ie airport seemed to be a bit long but thats my take on it. Crazy davey might have some input on the rest of the story. Despite the heat my Monte ran smooth and strong and I had great time hanging out some really great Montes and friends. There is NOTHING I would do to change that. TIM

Great overview of the Western Meet, Doug. It was a pleasure to meet you this year and have you there! Another fantastic FGMCC meet has been enjoyed by everyone in attendance. Thanks again to Aaron for his hard work in putting it together, and to everyone for supporting it. I had a blast!

smile

Dave

Thank you David,

It was also my pleasure meeting & conversing with you. It was a enjoyable experience and wish there had been more time available to spend with everyone. With all the activity and the few days we had, it was impossible to fully interact with all.

I am looking forward to the 2011 WM where I can continue getting to know all members in attendance.

It was truly a GREAT experience for me meeting you all! grin

All have a GREAT day......

Doug