Plastic In Line Fuel Filters-Safe to Use?

McCall72

I assume these are Fram in line fuel filters are intended for automotive use....anyone here used them or have thoughts/opinions of them?

22660941_fra_g3_pri_larg.jpg

I have used them, and currently use the wix version. They do a great job of filtering as long as you don't bend (or twist lol) the nipples too far. . . Seriously!

Not sure why but my brother in-law (a retired Chevy / GM power train engineer) tells our customers to never use plastic filters and be sure to put filters after the fuel pump not before the pump. He recommends a stainless housing filter that looks similar to the above picture.

Bruce

I have used them without issue. I worry about placement (heat), but that's about it.

Given the choice, I'd opt for the plastic type before one of these:

41suZCZ7t4L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

i usually try not to twist the nipples too far... yuk yuk

I've used those plenty of times before.. used to have one right at the gas tank on the suction side of the pump.. never an issue.

I use a nice inline one by the carb now..

hrmm.. can't find any pictures of it online. but it's a red & blue annodized piece that tucked under my fuel pressure regulator between the valve cover and carb smile

Hi up here in the frozen north the 1/4mi. track will NOT let you on the track with plastic oil pressure line,plastic fuel filter.(get hot, melt, spray fuel or oil and catch fire). I can see it happening, to be safe,and able to race, I made sure to follow the rules (NHRA) They let the 12" of fuel line slide some. good luck.

As long as you keep them away from extreme heat you will be issue less, unless Tim tries to twist your nipples. No track will knowingly let you run a glass filter like the Purolators you get at the discount stores. Carbed cars rarely run much more than 7 pounds of pressure, and the plastics alert you when you have gunk in the tank.

Andy

i wish I could find the pics of my fuel pressure setup.

I have a bracket mounted to the passenger side of my carb that holds my holley pressure regulator (dual outlet to feed my dual-feed carb)

i have a steel line that comes up from the fuel pump to just behind the alternator where I switch to rubber to couple it to the inlet on the fuel filter. (going to replace the whole thing with -8 line eventually)

the fuel filter is actully a 1/2" npt thread IIRC. (basicly -8)

but the filter is annodized alluminum with a replaceable paper element. then I have a couple of brass pipe thread fittings to turn the 90^ into the bottom of the FPR. the filter just sorta hangs in free air next to the valve cover over the top of the intake...