network

monte70car

Allan that's the whole thing the host 7 computer has a laser jet printer on it and even the xp system can't find it. Back in Dec. the XP system had no issues finding the printers but I had to clean it up due to a virus that sneaked on the system thru a email my niece got from a friend.

I disagree.. I've cleaned up several computers that have had virus infections, and all of them (including the one I'm using now) have lived long and happy lives once I re-educated the owners about proper virus protection..

allan. yah. in a commerical enviroment I can see that.. we used to do the same thing when I worked IT at the local college. we had boot disks and batch files all we had to do was bring the machine back to the lab, plug it into our 100mb switch (at the time the rest of the campus was 10mbit hubs) pop the disk in, turn it on.. and walk away.. in an hour or so, a fresh hard drive image was loaded up, and we got to go listen to the user whine about all their info they lost because they couldn't follow directions and save their files on the network drives instead of their local harddrives wink

in the case of my computer, it was my dads, it already had the virus on it when I got it after he passed away.. and not knowing what all was on the hard drive, wiping it wasn't an option.

I build each new computer the way I want it then make a "Ghost" image so that when it starts to get slow I just restore it smile My kids mess theirs up all the time so I can image one and have it updated in less than a hour. I also keep my data on a second drive smile

• 2 weeks later...

Well last week I redid her laptop and now its back to the same thing can't find the computer with the ink jet on it but it can find my laser jet which ran out of ink this afternoon frown. So I don't know whats going on with her laptop why it stops finding the printers all the computers are on the same mshome network the two with printers are set for print and doc sharing.

Allan, why/how do these guys offer free services like that, where do they make the money to operate, I don't see a lot of advertising on there.

Is this a better way then using a external drive, aside from the fact that a fire could wipe out both hard drives?