Bench seat 4 speed

4spd71

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted By: Rob Peters
...the classic white painted room.

But Rob, how can we ignore what you said? What I want to know now is if the white room had black curtains?

grin

Dave

In the station...

Great song!

• 1 month later...

I seem to recall that there may have been chassis, fuel, electrical and emissions differences between small block and big block cars. I have to dig out my assembly guide. I believe big block cars got oval control arm bushings in the front lower arms, rear position, small block round.

As you've confirmed the 4 speed transmission is original to the build, it can not be a 454 car.

So, 402 or 350?

Does this car have the gauge package or idiot lights?

I do find it odd that it has the vinyl roof reveal moldings. It’s pretty difficult to install (by welding) the tiny studs that the molding clips go onto. Pop a molding and see if they look “correct”.

The tach for the 454 cars had a different redline than small block cars. Small blocks (L48) had a redline of 5,000 RPM. Big block cars (LS3, LS5) had a redline of 5,500 RPM.

If this car has a tach, it might be the way to discern if it was a 350 or 402 engine.

Yes, screw in molding studs are available. It'd be interesting to know if this car has factory welded in studs or the after market screw in studs.

I do believe GM has made the occasional boo-boo and put a vinyl top on a car with a tag that says it doesn't have one.

Sorry, but that is far from true.

Mine is 938 code 5k redline with LS5 and all documented on the

buildsheet. I have seen/heard of more LS5's with the 5k than the

5.5k also. Definitely not a rule or proof of anything.

Hey Jake, your sig says your car is a 70. I'm not certain the tach details are the same for 1971. For the 1971 cars, the original GM part numbers for the small block and big block tachs are different, 5657405 for small blocks, 5657406 for big blocks. The GM catalog I'm gleaning this from is an original 1971 only parts department publication and it shows it's age. It's not a reproduction.

At least one aftermarket restoration company offers them referencing the original numbers and show them with the correct redlines.

http://restorationpartssource.com/store/product16141.html

http://restorationpartssource.com/store/product16139.html

Sam, don't you have your build sheet on your computer. I do. grin If it's the sheet I think it is, you have the 938, 5k redline.

it's in my old crashed computer lol

I keep all my documents for my numbers matching one handy rofl my dash is up on a shelf and can't get to it

My car is every where. Shell is in the garage, Interrior is in the garage rafters, trunk pan is in the spare bedroom, and the right fender is soon going to be in the family room. I have to wait until after the holidays of course grin

Hey guys, suprised to see more hits on this subject, been busy. There is no tach in my car. When I got it there was no vinyl roof, just the top painted white and there was spots where the trim looks like it was riveted on, but no rivits or screws remain. My neighbors 70 has the same look and his was originally green top and bottom, but looks like it had a vinyl roof. I was able to get the build sheet, but it is a jigsaw puzzle and most of it is missing. I can see where it says special customer order and 4 speed, but cannot find anything about the engine.