Need some advice

TommyP

I’m working on my 12 bolt rear end for the first time. About 8-10 years ago I had a guy that owns a local shop install a Moroso Brute Strength posi unit that I bought used and 4.10 gears in my car. Now I’m changing the axles and when I took it apart I found that someone has ground down the bolt that holds the pin that goes between the axles. It looks like someone ground it with a bench grinder making the diameter smaller and the end has an angle on it. Does anyone know why someone would grind it? Also, the pin itself has a chip out of it around the hole. untitled.jpgpin.jpg

They probably did it so they wouldn't have to exactly line up the hole in the shaft with the hole in the carrier. It was probably a super tight fit when they stuck in the pin, couldn't rotate it to line up the holes, so they hammered it with a punch. That chipped the rod and ultimately led to them grinding the bolt so they could get it back together...??

If it was mine, I would probably get a new rod and bolt as long as it's apart.

Yeah, I bet your right, and that it was done to make it easier to get the bolt in. I e mailed Moroso's tech line to see if I can get some replacement parts from them. I was reading on another message board and a guy said on there "be carefull not to turn the differential while the pinion cross shaft is out because you will get the gears out of alignment. You must make sure that the thrust washers don't come out from behind the spider gears.This is a very common problem and can damage the differential case if unnoticed" now I'm starting to get a little worried about this. I don't think that I turned it anymore than I needed to to get to the c-clips. confused

When someone took it apart before they may have broke the bolt off in the "JESUS PIN" (they call it a Jesus pin becuse when the bolt breaks off you say OH JESUS)Then they foobobed the jesus pin removing the broken bolt and had to grind the new bolt so it would fit.Replace both pieces and put a small dab of anti-sieze on the non threaded end of the bolt.

FWIW, every time I have taken my rear end apart, the thrust washers on that Brute Strength fall out. With a tiny bit of effort, they will go back in, not to worry. Usually just a push or light tap with a screw driver is enough to get them in. You can see the washers behind the gears, and if they aren't lined up just right, the pin won't go back in.