Wall computer

Ian

i thought about trying to make a liquid cooling system for my old machine when I used to run the SETI@home stuff because of the heat it would generate.. I wasn't so much concerned with keeping the unit cool, as I was in what to do with the heat that was removed.. it was making my room very room keeping a 400mhz cpu running 100% duty cycle 24/7 smile

unfortunately, I don't have the equipment I need to machine the parts. I figured I could take a block of aluminum, drill several small holes through it on one size, and two large 'manifolds' at either end... tap and plug the diagonal corners, and use 1/8" pipe thread fittings on the other two...

ya know mike.. from that angle. I'd swear your sig pic is a corvette smile have to look REAL close to realize it is a monte wink

Oh my, I always thought it was a corvette & wondered why he didn't have his monte posted.......thanks for clearing that up! lol

Originally Posted By: kc8oye
ya know mike.. from that angle. I'd swear your sig pic is a corvette smile have to look REAL close to realize it is a monte wink

Oh my, I always thought it was a corvette & wondered why he didn't have his monte posted.......thanks for clearing that up! lol

I never really noticed until Tim brought that up lol. Certainly a lot of curve in the fenders near the end eh? laugh

the only give away that it's not a vette really is the lack of headlights in the hood...

that body line at the front edge of the hood that runs right across the fender is a tell-tale sign too wink

Back to the computer thing: If you can assemble a complete computer on a board of about 30X30 inches, and have it maybe 3-4 inches tall...wht not enclose it like that, stand it on end and use it to support one end of your desk?

It might look something like this, with one of those end legs containing your computer hardware:

RTEmagicC_bottega-veneta-desk.jpg.jpg

If you're serious about water cooling a PC, go to:

www.mountainmods.com

I've used them in the past, good to deal with and cater to the gamer / liquid cooling community.

They have water blocks, water-pumps, radiators, tubing, reservoirs, almost anything your could need to run water cooling in a PC. One word of caution, get ready to spend money, it's not a cheap way to build a computer and unless you are into building them, not for the faint of heart. Water - Delicate electronic computer components...you get the idea.

I was heavily into it for a few years and built several liquid cooled machines, there is a lot to consider when doing it, however pushing CPU and Graphics card overclock speeds that would melt an air cooled system never posed a problem.

Their radiators believe it or not, used the heater cores out of a ....Chevette.

I'm still using one of their older UFO cases, although I didn't water cool this set up, and although it's now almost a 5 year old build I still have people look at it and say..."Wow, that's a computer?!?"

I've thought about water cooling but I dont overclock that much. Seen too many water blocks or lines burst, with the owners' ripping their hair out because they now have a custom boat anchor. There are fluids that are not conductive so will not short out any components in the event of a breach but they are certainly not cheap. Not to mention the extra room needed for the radiator setup. I do like that it should be quieter.

That was the one draw back to the Mountain Mods / Chevette radiator, it took up a lot of space, and the triple 88mm fans when pushed out to the max got a little noisey.

Under normal conditions though I would set my radiator fans at just 1000 rpm or so and the only thing you'd really here was a slight woosh of the fluids circulating and very muted hum from the pump.

At the height of my W/C days when I built that rig It was based mostly off of the Mountain Mods site, It had both the System CPU and ran twin SLI 512MB Nvida based Graphics cards water cooled.

I remember just after completing the build, I fired everything up to install the OS, and I noticed a drip drip of coolant from the Lower GPU Block, this had happened before with the same block so.....frustrated, I shut down, jumped into my car, went to a hardware store got pipe sealant and adjustable metal hose clamps. The kit I bought had Nylon type clamps and I suspected they just weren't up to snuff for the pressures I was running from the pump.

Got home drained the system, tore all the hoses out, coated the hose barbs on the blocks with the PVC sealant and put the hoses back on with the metal clamps, tightened them up refilled the system and VIOLA! no more leaky!

One draw back...For days after; my room in my flat REEKED of Pipe sealant; my roommate swore I was in there 'huffing' ...but it worked.

I never had another leak...and even that it was built back 5 years or so now that rig probably would STILL give some newer CPU set ups a run for their money, it was insane what it could pull on benchmarks when it was running all out.

LOL Moral of the story...PC's are like cars...nothing ever succeeds like ...overkill!!

I agree completely. I'm just uneasy. Wish there was a water cooling solution that was leakPROOF!.

My old p4 would seriously heat the room without the need for a heater. My current computer is better but it will still heat the room to an extent.