I did it!!

maddmann313

I got a holley 600 list number 1850 and i got it put on and and everything hooked up but I dont think its right... I started it for the 1st time and it sounded good but then when i hit the gas it stalled, and there was a big cloud of black smoke!! Then i listened to the motor while it was off and it would click and then 4 seconds later it would click again. Also as i said im not sure if everything is hooked up right and i was wondering if anyone had a diagram on where all the vacuum line and things run, i will post pictures later

Did you follow the directions that came with the carb and set the float levels?

Holley says they're pre-set, but mine were way off when I bought a brand new carb.

that picture is rough, but those plugs don't look fouled.. just that the engine was definitely a little rich.

Yes the floats were set perfect! And the reason that plug doesnt look fouled is because it was from a phone camera and the flash was on. Also what hoses hook up where on this carb? I know I have the fuel line right and the one from the pcv right what about the lines from the charcoal canister and the line from the brake booster?

the baseplate at the front should be where your vacuumm modulator line hooks up. if that's hooked up to the fitting in the back of the intake, you can use this for your A/C controls if you have a/c

your vac. advance cansister should be on manifold vac. but some people like it on the ported side. whatever makes you happy is right.

I just put on a Holley 650 the other month. I'll take some pictures tonight or tomorrow and have them up for you. are you running a vaccum advance Distributor? also... that line running from your brake booster... goes in the back of your carb down near the very bottom... DON'T DRIVE WITHOUT IT! it makes stopping VERY difficult and there is a very good chance it will hardly run as well... one last thing before I provide pics is, those little screws on the sides of your bowls... I turned them all the way in then turned them out 3/4ths of a turn and the car ran great after that. anyways... yeah I'll get pics for you tomorrow if that's ok... OR if you're online now I can go get them...

Yea I noticed that it makes it difficult to stop and yes I have a vacuum advance distributer, take pictures of every vacuum line where they come from and where they go! Also one of my friends came over and fixed the idle screws so as far as that goes it's fine. Thanks

your vacuum modulator is on the transmission.. there should be a steel line going down the back of the engine on the passenger side to it. that would connect to that front fitting.

if that line is already connected to the fitting in the back of the manifold, then you can bring the vacuum line from your vacuum pod over to that fitting, if you have a car that had A/C from the factory.

looking at that picture labeled 'mystery line' I believe your vac. modulator and A/C are both connected to the intake..

so that fitting at the front should go to your distributor.

you are going to have a problem with that mystery line because the carb only has one fitting of that size.

that 'mystery line' is the vacuum line to feed your brake booster for power brakes. that small fitting in the intake with the two small lines is going to have to be replaced with one with a fitting for your power brakes, so that your PCV system can use the large fitting on the carb.. You really don't want PCV and power brakes sharing a vac line.

yeah.. with your new carb, that' where your mystery line from the brake booster will need to connect.

there should also be a large 3/8" fitting on the carb.. either in the back, or on the passenger side.. that's where your PCV valve would attach.

Yes I have the fitting on the back passenger side hooked up to pcv... But where do I put that line from the brake booster? Also what goes on that front fitting I have circled in black? And the other line coming from the coal canister that ts, one side to the carb and one side to the distributer where does it hook up on the carb?

the first two questions have already been answered.. as for the charcoal canister.. that's a real pain to hookup.. unlesss you have to pass a state inspection with your car, I wouldn't worry about hooking it back up.

There are two lines for the charcoal cansister.. the smaller one is the 'control' line.. that goes to a PORTED vacuum source which will be a small nipple high on the front of the carb.

the larger of the two needs to go to manifold vacuum which would tee in one of those lines going to that fitting at the back of the manifold.

btw.. your throttle hookup is right, except you need to go to the parts store and get a 'kick down stud assortment kit' ... most places that sell holley stuff should have it.. i think it runs about $11.. that will let you hook your kick down cable up so your trans will downshift when you step on it.

So the smaller one goes to he nipple ne'er the front fuel bowl? And I got 2 more line one for the pcv which is hooked up right and the other is on a metal tube I think runs to the gas tank... Sorry to be a pian in the butt but I'm more of a visual guy! And yea unfortunately I do have to pass a state inspection!

in your picture above where you outlined the fitting you had questions about..

There is another rubber line connected sticking out the side of the carb right by the float level window.. where's that going? that nipple is where the smaller of the two charcoal canister lines needs to go. if that line is for the distributor, just add a t-fitting. the larger one would go to the fitting you outlined.

Are you talking about this peice? This is from the 1st pic and it's behind the carb.

52e0b41d.jpg

Also your saying i would have to find a fitting to have the 2 line that are on it now and the brake booster line???

yes, exactly what I'm saying.. Call Leo.. he has them available. 810-334-4162

you can also make what you need out of hardware store fittings.. like I did back in the early days smile

left smaller hose goes to the transmission.. large hose to the right goes to my brake booster.

vacumfittings.jpg