network issues

kc8oye

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

strange strange strange... it's been working great for nearly a month now. and then right back to being stupid.

that other wireless network has changed SSID's and Channel, so I'm guessing we were interfering with each other...

i just went through a long episode of not being able to establish a connetion to the router.. nearly 2 days.. i reset the router, changed every setting I could think of.. nothing.. the software would turn green saying it connected to the router, then where you would expect the DHCP information to show up, it would drop everything and go back to 'scanning'

just out of curiosity's sake, I disabled the software that came with the NetGear adapter, and used XP's network connection manager. it immeidately told me it couldn't connect to the network.. then after a couple more tries, it DID connect and is holding fairly decent transfer rates...

so no I'm REALLY not sure if it's my adapter/software or the router *sigh* at least it won't matter much longer.

I really don't like the software that controls the connections. I have a linksys router and used to use a wireless-g card in my desktop. The software for the card that controlled the wireless connections would always show low connection and often wouldnt let me connect at all. I switched to the windows software and it started working no problems. Even my router came with software that says you must use but I didnt put that in either and have no problems with that too.

With most computers running Windows I have found the software that comes with the wireless adapter is worthless. Let Windows manage it and you are better off. We had some laptops at work that was the only way to get a reliable connection.

my Dell laptop came with WiFi built it.. and it just used the Vista networking and it worked great.

I just can't explain the on-again, off-again nature of this beast.. if it doesn't work, I should be able to fix it and get it going again.. but i dunno..

• 2 weeks later...

running a little slower tonight.. only 216mbit/s!

I'm not sure if it's the router, or maybe this interface being that it's intended for high speed operation, just doesn't like doing 802.11g, or what..but I set mom up with the same wireless adapter the other day and her computer loves it too. I'm not using the NetGear software tho.. her machine is Windows 7, that was 'fun' trying to get that interface to work with 7... got it in the end tho.. and I'm of course on XP Pro sp3.

is it possible the encryption method would make a difference? IIRC, that 2wire only supported WEP. I'm using WPA with mom's router.

Just remember that you can have the fastest connection in the world to the router, and still have a slow Internet connection. Those fast speeds are only good if you are transferring files between local computers on the same network smile

i know ian. I'm not sure what the internet speed was at my cousins.. besides the obvious "turtle"

Mom has 6mbit cable which runs circles around DSL.

I was only getting between 1 and 24mbit to my cousin's router that's why I mentioned the speeds here at mom's for comparison.. I changed nothing on my computer except the router I was connected to.

I just checked my speed and got:

11.45 Mbps download and 1.06 Mbps upload speed.

I read the Upper case M is different than the lower case m for amount of data (Mega v.s micro? something)

Is that any good? Do I need a better 4 BBL carburetor or something?

The big B is megabyte. The little b is megabit.

One MB is equal to eight Mb.

So to use an average 13.3MB, you have a speed of 1.66Mb/second.

Us Canadian folk do not get your fast speeds. You pay a premium just to get 9MB in some cases. I pay more than $50 for 6MB download and 350KB or .35MB upload. You fancy people and your fancy internets....grumble grumble grumble....

There is another button on that Speednet page that detects windows errors: it finds the supposed errors that could slow you down, but you have to purchase to get the problems fixed.

I dunno....is it worth it, or could it lead to other issues?

Of course they identify hundreds of problems that "need" to be fixed right away...

Looks like I have the lowest ping. At least thats something.

1107279880.png

Having the quickest ping should be good for something, Mike (if nothing more than waking up the server)!! Do you live next door to the server location or is it perhaps due to the increased speed of electrons at cryogenic temperatures? grin

Another fact of physics. I think electrons are the only things that speed up as temeratures go down. Just like water is the only thing that expands as it freezes.