Small block push Rods

71ss454 * (Larry)

I am having bad luck with motors I bought one it turned out to have a cracked

Block now I got another one and changing the intake and found two bent push rods

One on each side can anyone give me a idea of what would cause the rods to bend and what other damage I might be looking at I have not heard this motor run yet

Thanks

I just bought the motor I know nothing what so ever about it i have not heard it run I was just cleaning

It up with new paint and somehow seen them bent when I took off the intake to clean and paint it was really clean inside oil was decent and it does have roller rockers so I think it was rebuilt

That's a tricky one. You might be lucky and just have a weak set of pushrods, or it could be something else causing them to bend.

Here is a good page of things to check for:

http://www.lunatipower.com/Tech/Valvetrain/ValveSpringTech.aspx

I didn't look at the link Wallaby put up but I am sure this suggestion is in it (I guess I just wanted to post lol). Check to make sure there is enough valve guide clearance for the lift on the cam. David

Springs could be binding, piston to valve clearance could be bad. They could just be old crappy pushrods that they threw in there--maybe they didn't even get bent while in your engine--hopefully.