Delco AM/FM Stereo Radio Identification?

Hey guys,

Am in the process of finding the Model Number on this radio as the tag is missing this most important info. Have done a lot of research & think I may have (at the least) narrowed it down.

The Product Number is: 7312341. It has the green face lens and the 1970 Control Knobs. I took the numbers off the Power Transistors on the heat sink and looks to be 1969 vintage.

Not all I have researched but seems to have narrowed it down to this as a Model (#O1BFM2) that would signify it for a 1970 Chevelle, El Camino or Monte Carlo. I can still read the last digit of the Model Number that identifies it as a (revision 2).

Of course, can't be absolutely certain so am picking your brains for any useful info that may help or confirm my research. Starting at around 1968 1/2, the identification was changed from using just the product code & a Model No. was given as ID for year & application. So the void between 1968 1/2 thru 1971 is what I have to work within. It looks like all AM/FM Delco Stereo radios built in 1970 us the O1(B)FM designation even though the "B" indicates Full Size Chevrolet. The 1970 AM Delco radios used the "A" for all AM types. Weird huh?

Anywho, this is where I am at and haven't been able to glean any further info. I am (guessing) I nailed it but still not certain!

Here are a couple pic's if will be any help in identifying.

I currently have one (factory correct) by Model No. out for service to upgrade my Monte and will likely put this one up for sale some day. Would be nice to know what date application it was for.

Thanks in advance for any help! grin

PS - Took the 1970 Knobs off to keep them from getting damaged.............

100_2624.jpg

100_2625.jpg

100_2626.jpg

100_2627.jpg

All have a GREAT Holiday Season.....

Doug laugh

Data from my 71 radio, if your interested:

Product No. 7933261

Service Model No. 11AFM1

Serial No. 1005632

Now, what's this one from????

Product No. 7935024

Service Model No. 34AFM1

Serial No. 1011663

I was told it's from either a 73 Buick Regal or a 72 Olds 88.

My father in-law said it was a take out from his old car but didn't remember what one. (He wanted an 8 track player!)

Bruce

1970 Chevelle, El Camino or Monte Carlo should be #01AFM with a 1 or 2 for the revision number.

Full size Chevrolet is #01BFM with a 1 or 2 for the revision number. I am not sure if they fully interchangeable between models - but I believe the stem width measurement is the same between A and B radio models but the center opening in the dash maybe different in size.

Bruce - your radio is from a 1973 Buick midsize model car.

JimB104.jpg

Hey Jim,

Based on the info I have found, in `1970 all the AM/FM radios were designated with the "B" Full Size classification while the AM (variations) having the "A" Mid Size classification. This info may not be complete but is consistent from the data I have read for this year. If indeed the ""A" Mid Size classification was used in the Model Number for 1970, can you confirm this? Both the "A" & "B" classification radios are identical in fit & function for at least years 1969 thru 1976. I suspect without the Model Number being visible on the tag, there is really no way to confirm if "A" or "B" Model if my research was accurate. I haven't found anywhere that can match Product Number to Model Number.

Also, if anyone can identify the same product number as I had indicated in my original post, that might help me isolate the actual Model Number.

You probably already know this but for those who dont, here is a rough idea determining what Year, GM Division, Body style, Radio type, Revision Number:

Model Number 21AFM1 (2=72 Year) (1=Chevrolet) (A=Midsize/Compact) (FM=AM/FM) (Revision=1)

Pre 1968 used only the Product Number. It wasn't until 1968 1/2 that it was changed to a Model Number that designated application.

There is lots of information on the Web but so far have not found any where to identify the Product Number from this particular radio to the Model Number.

Hey Bruce,

I don't think that was the Product Number that you indicated. I believe that was the Part Number used to identify the bezel (the number stamped just above the volume control). Have the same number on mine in same location but tag shows Product Number as different).

I'll keep digging and if I come across a method tying the Product Number to the Model Number, will relay that info for whoever may find it useful.

Appreciate the effort so far and again, wishing all a GREAT Holiday Season......

Doug

Doug, check out this link to 69-72 Delco Radio identification.

Delco Radio ID's

I have the Sam's Photofact for my 1970 AM/FM 8 track stereo radio and it list part number DS 515 as the output transistors, which may also have been the same ones used in 1969 & 1970 stereo radios. Sam's Photofacts maybe the only source to match the product number with the model number, if you can find the correct one for either year. Sam's usually shows the model number and the product number on their Photofact sheets. You can try your local library for the Sam's sheets or keep an eye out on ebay for them. Jim.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

JimB104.jpg

Thanks Jim,

Got some of my info previously via the link you provided. Sams Sheets sounds like a possibility & hadn't heard of it before. Will see what I can dig up.

Thanks again for the tip.

I also took the numbers from the power capacitors located on the heat sink. DS-515-(69)47. As the lens cover had the green tint, the 1970 radio knobs & my understanding is the bottom 4 digits on the capacitor (if original to the radio), the 1st 2 digits, in this case (69) determines the year up into/thru 1970. Based on this theory, the capacitors are 1969 vintage and are original to this radio.

Given all the above info, I believe it to be a 1970 but am not certain if a 01AFM or a 01BFM. Hopefully Sams Sheets will solve this riddle!

Doug

Yes, that is what I am believing to Dan. Just can't pinpoint the exact Model. I'm pretty certain all pre 1970 & post 1970 were other than green hue.

You guys just had to be different! nutz

Thanks for the help Dan. grin

Doug