Glove Boxe Lock Removal

cpmman

I don't know, but if you find out let me know smile I tried to take mine out when I painted the door, but ended up taping it off because I could not get the darn thing of!!!

Yes after many tries, I ended up taping and painting mine however all the fiddling with the lock made it loose now so I presume it needs to be removed and cleaned so it can be put back on and retightened.

Tony, I'm with you..got to go out (if I can stop working in the Monte for a bit!)and clean the 20" of snow we just got....!

I thought I had it now that Allan mentioned that the key needed to be in the lock however to luck...!!

This is getting very fustrating! I should have left it alone as the mask job came out fine but now the lock is loose and just spins in the glove box door hole...Uggggh

Again like others have said key in the lock and then just mess with it. When I did the dash I took it off but just kept mess'n with it till I got it.Like you said it got frusterating.

When it spins does something need to line up to pull lock out? Can't remember.

The only twisting action I can get is the travel of the key as though I were locking the glove box when I twist...

I have just as many hours getting the @#$%^ thing off as I do in the entire dash repaint!!!

It's not off yet...

GOT IT OFF!!! You must push the tab down in the slot on top of the cylinder. If you look at the glove box door with the lock in it you will notice a cut out in the plastic. This is for a small screw driver to push down on the tap with the key in and latch pulled back as noted earlier in this discussion.

VERY IMPORTANT...Also if you have an after market key, it may be a C-hair taller than stock keys so the tab won't push down all the way...solution is to grove the key where the tab pushes down on it.

Have fun.....

I can add that I found this post in the archives by montefrazer:

Quote:
The lock cylinder has to come out the front of the glove box door. Open the glove box door and push the latch to the closed position. Lock the lock with the key. In front of the base of the lock on the inside of the door, you will see a small half round cut out in the plastic. Ahead of this in the base of the lock will be a square hole. Inside this hole is a spring loaded tab. You need to push this tab in as you carefully pry the lock out the front of the door. It will move a bit and another tab will show up. There are 5 tabs in all. You need to push and pry each one. When the lock is out of the glove box door, the part left on the outside of the door unscrews from the housing left on the inside of the door. It takes longer to explain than to do.

------------------

Steve

I took mine apart to get some pics. Steve's instructions are great, but I only had to push down on the first tab, the one on the right in the pics. The key held the others down so they cleared as the cylinder was removed.

394374992.jpg

394374993.jpg

This pic shows how far the tab on the lock cylinder goes into the latch and where to look for it so you can push it down with a small, straight screwdriver.

394374957.jpg

Dan

When I needed mine fixed (when I was back on Long Island), I went to Steve's house(Monteman71) and he just gave me a new door with the lock already installed.