Inner Fender Shields

MC-71

Yes. Well needed part. They install behind the plastic wheel housing. Can someone go to www.dixiemontecarlodepot.com click on to 70-72 Monte. Click on new products and then forward to this topic.

Part #DA10222 $49.95 a pair. Also

Part #DA16102 72 hood spear with emblem $79.00

I just ordered 2 sets. My friend Bob wanted a set. If you order 1 set the shipping was $10.95. If you order 2 sets the shipping is $12.00. 3 sets jumps to $18.00. So if you have someone that lives close to you get together and double up and save a few bucks.

Yeah! I'm curious on the fit and whether the plastic is perhaps more plyable and less prone to cracking than the original. I have two sets, from junk yards, all damaged in one location or another. Very interested to get reviews.

Got them...they look real good, the plastic isn't as flexible as the originals but their real nice.

They should have made the outside as pretty as the inside. The part that's hidden inside the wheel well is as smooth as glass but the side that shows has some "streak" marks in it. Not a big deal and still looks great!!!

Didn't get a chance to see how they actually fit because my Monte is in the garage that I rent but they appear to be correct with the right shape and mounting points.

Steve

• 2 years later...

They still list them in their catalog - you can download it from their website. Page 16: DA10222 "70-72 Monte Carlo Inner Fender Shields (pair)" $49.95

You're right though - they don't come up on the website. I'd give them a call.

OPGI also has them: Part# M240137 - $69.99

http://www.opgi.com/monte-carlo/1970/sheet-metal-body-panels/fender/M240137/

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. Does anybody of you have a photo of these shields installed? I think my Monte is missing these and I'm not sure if I should buy them and what function these have.

Cheers

Joerg

Hi guys. Does anybody of you have a photo of these shields installed? I think my Monte is missing these and I'm not sure if I should buy them and what function these have.

Cheers

Joerg

Yes, see photo below. They essentially fill the gap between the back of your front inner fender and the frame. They attach with three bolts: one to the frame, one to the bottom edge of the outside fender (blue arrows) and one to the bottom edge of the inner fender (red arrow). I just installed a set on my SS a couple of weeks ago. If you get a pair, be extremely careful to test fit them before you tighten any of the three bolts. They are made out of a very brittle black plastic and can be easily cracked or broken.

Plastic inner fenders as shown in the photo below bolt up very nicely to them but beware of steel inner fenders. Test fit the shield to the contour of the bottom edge of the inner fender and reshape that edge to match the shield. Don't try to reshape a metal inner fender with the shield in place because it will easily crack (ask me how I know). frown

f32291ff-7bdb-460c-ba28-332edf0190f9_zps

I am guessing that there are a lot of first gen Montes around that don't have these shields. It is not something you would ever notice unless you were looking up under the car. They probably keep mud and water from splashing up against the frame but I don't see much other benefit to them. There certainly is no appearance benefit, IMO.

Here's a link to a source if you want to buy INNER FENDER SHIELDS

Thanks Dennis. With your photo and the arrows I understood where I needed to look under my Monte. And yes, these are indeed installed. However both the Inner plastic fenders and the shields are heavily cracked. So I will replace them all. I'm also thinking about adding A-Arm Seals because my Monte have lost them. I'm only wondering how to mount them easily. On OPGI there is one reviewer talking about that the staples are hard to use and he found a different setup but doesn't talk about more details. Did you install A-Arm Seals and if yes, how?

Thanks again

Joerg

Joerg, I installed new A-arm shields when I replaced the cracked original inner fenders on my '70 4-speed with new PLASTIC inner fenders from The Parts Place. Since there were pilot holes in the A-arm shields and no holes in the inner fenders, I just clamped the shields in place and carefully drilled the correct sized holes (3/16" or 1/4" dia) through the inner fender and then used push-pin expanding black plastic trim rivets to secure the shield to the fender. This gives a neat appearance and is plenty durable (see photo below).

b99accc7-0528-4a4c-9168-97a38cc075ab_zps

My '70 SS has been a completely different story, however. It came to me with steel inner fenders. I have no idea when or why they were installed because they were certainly not installed at the factory. To be blunt, I HATE them! When I ordered all of the other parts for a complete front end rebuild, I naturally ordered new A-arm shields because they were completely missing. When I went to install them recently, I discovered that the opening in the inner fender is a huge gaping hole which the correct '70-'72 Monte A-arm shields don't even begin to cover (see photo below).

A-armshields279_zps760c8fd9.jpg

Whatever was originally installed on these steel fenders was done with those wire staples and I had already yanked them all out.

Now I'm debating whether to replace these nasty steel fenders with a new set of plastic fenders with the correct A-arm openings or try to find some A-arm shields that fit these steel fenders. I assume these are Shovel fenders but who knows.

If I go the latter route (cheaper and easier, of course) I will have a perfectly good, new pair of '70-'72 Monte A-arm shields that I can't/won't use if you're interested.

and then used push-pin expanding black plastic trim rivets to secure the shield to the fender.

Dennis, thanks again. That sounds like a really good solution. I'm planning to place a big order with Dixies soon with many parts and because of the high shipping costs (>$200) to Germany it's probably the best way to include the A-Arm shields as well. However there are probably lots of people here which could make use of yours.

Thanks again for your explanations.

• 2 weeks later...

For the A-arm shields, I made my own. Bought a set of thick mud flaps made for a truck, cut the desired pattern out of them then I drilled and used a tap to make some threads in the plastic wheel wells then I used left over small stainless steel ARP bolts lef over from my engine accessory kit to hold them in.

For the splash shields, as I said back in 2010 I would be interested in reviews of the aftermarket ones, for those that have installed them, have they stood up well or have they cracked like the originals?

• 3 months later...

there are 2 kinds of a arm shields. one for steel one for plastic. contact leo he has them. im switching from plastic to steel. it will stiffen up the front end and no plastic to crack.

Good info Dennis,

I bought the inner fender A Arm shields without considering fitment as I put the steel inner fender wells in previously.  I hadn't gone any further as inner fenders already are installed and it looked like a project to add dust shields.  I am going to use your idea on fastening them as the staples would be a real challenge with inner fenders installed.  Just need to find a set of dust shields that will fill that void.

Doug