another dilemma

Capri's 71 SS

So my mom has a desktop in her office with a modem & netgear router. everything is properly connected & working.

My dad has a desktop in his room that should work via the router & modem in my mom's office.

He cannot get on line. It shows he has excellent connection (from the router) but cannot access internet. I have spoken with netgear & the ISP and everything is working. He has even taken his tower in to be checked and they say all is great.

Any thoughts??? I have spent hours HOURS HOURS on the phone with all the various help desks and everything checks out. I am lost and he is 74 and new to this whole computer thing so that makes this challenging, too.

Capri, The first problem is the NetGear router, in a word they stink...but we'll work around that....LOL

Seriously it's Hard to say for sure given the posted information...so try this:

Does the computer show "connected" In Windows once it is booted?

Is it connected via a cable or wireless card?

Try this: From the computer that has internet access:

Click Start > Run

Type "CMD" Minus the quotes.

Type 'IPCONFIG /ALL" Minus the quotes

Write down the IP, Default gateway and subnet mask and DNS Server IP Addy.

From the computer not able to connect, repeat this and compare the two, you should see basically the same IP Configuration on the machine with no internet access, with the exception of the IP address, the Default Gateway and Subnet mask will generally be the same.

It should also have a DNS IP address listed, with out that the computer will not be able to resolve IP addresses.

If is has an IP address, DNS address etc...try to ping the IP of the Default gateway:

Start> Run Type CMD

Type Ping x.x.x.x (x Indicates the IP address of the Default Gateway.

Then do the same for the DNS entries.

Post your results, and we can troubleshoot further from there.

i'm wondering if the netgear router is setup for MacAddress filtering?

Not sure if thats what my parents had a problem with when they got their first router but I had to call the cable company to reset the connection after hooking up the router. Computer that was originally connected to the modem would work fine even through the router but no other computers would connect. After they reset the connection I think it read the mac address of the router and allowed all the other computers to work.

Mind you that was a few years ago.

yeah my cable company in michigan was like that. When I switched from their cable modem to my own I had to call them and give them the new mac address.. thankfully their system doesn't give a cr@p whats behind the modem.

I used a combination 4 port 100mbit switch/router at first.. then changed it to a wireless router when I got my laptop wink

I've had good luck with my Linksys stuff at home.. I'm using a NetGear wireless adapter here and it sucks.. but then agian, so do the 2wire routers that I'm trying to connect to smile

I still have my old linsys 4 port router non wireless that works great with everything I have ever hooked up to it. I plan on using it to make a home network between my computer and my ps3 for music/movie watching and the odd friend coming over possibly to game.

My new linksys 4 port wireless n router was not as easy when I first got it but I think a lot of that was due to network adapters and faulty firmware. Used to overheat on a daily basis.

Personally I would get rid of the netgear and try either linksys or dlink. Both good brands with Dlink I think being a bit better as linksys quality is a bit more questionable compared to years past.

okie dokie - I will print this out once I get my desktop working and I can print.

Can I add my wired printer to my linksys router and print off my laptop?

i have rebpooted my moms computer & my dads along with the router & modem. Cable company rebooted modem & did not help either. Now that I think back, dads computer is reading my moms isp address and it says the connection strength is excellent & it is connected but just will not give internet access - it just displays that the web page (yahoo) is not available.

maybe a linksys router is all he needs instead of the netgear one.

And he does have a wireless thingy plugged into the back of his tower.

well, cable showed up to run cable into another room so my dad asked him to look at things and apparantly he hit a few buttons & now all is GOOD!!

yay

Oh, it was BUTTONS you had to push? I hate that. When I run into computer problems, the last thing I want to do is push more buttons.

The other day I was sitting with my laptop and my cat decided to take a shotcut and walk across my keyboard. He stepped on a combination of keys that took me to somewhere I don't know what. I was cursing that cat for 30 minutes while I tried to restore what he messed up.

Capri glad to see it was something easy. Mark try two girls 19 months old and a 4yr old. The other day I walk in and Katelyn our 19 month old is standing in the computer chair reahing over to click the mouse she will be the one that makes my hair turn gray.