Finally I am getting some heads

Heckeng

I am really excited and wanted to share that I just ordered some heads--finally. My car has been out of commission for 1 year now due to economy and my poor decision to sell my old heads when I did. BUT, I just sent a check to Mike Lewis (Wolfplace, or Lewis Racing Engines) for a set of AFR 265cc heads. They have a combustion chamber around 107cc which should raise my compression from 8.75 to around 9.5:1 and they flow from 6% to 30% more at various lifts while the intake port went from 325cc down to 265cc so velocity should be very high. They should also have CNC'd intake ports and valve pockets, and partially CNC'd exhaust ports. I did not opt for their CNC chambers even though they make even better flow. It was just hard for me to justify $400 for that option which would also lower my compression. Hopefully I made the right decision there.

I am like a little kid waiting for Christmas--I can't wait to get these things on the engine and get it running again. I am guessing I should have them in around 3 weeks or so, AFR is closed so he couldn't order them until next week.

I'll be upgrading my lifters to a set of Morels at the same time which I don't expect much performance improvement from but I do expect better reliability under the spring pressures I am using.

I'll try and take pics along the way as I get them ready and check clearances etc.

6.jpg

Yeah, I kind of liked how the thread title turned out when it got cut off lol That would get me to read it!

Tony, it HAS been a long time. . . I've been living vicariously through you guys and your projects for the entire 2010 year.

Sweet... cool

I didn't know or forgot that you hadn't driven your car in so long, but don't worry it's like riding a bike it will all come back to you... wink

Nice choice Scott on the heads!! cool Morel makes a very nice lifter. I forget did you decide to go with a solid roller or hyd roller? Like Mike said that thing going to be torque monster. What spring pressures will you have seat/over the nose?

Can't wait for you to get the beast running!! smile

David

Cam will be the same one I have currently as I want to maintain an easy valve trane life and keep the power relatively low in the rpms. It is a HR cam, 224/234 deg at 0.050", and .527/.544 lift. Spring pressures will be 170lbs on seat, and 430 at .544". They have a rate of 475lb rate which should keep the lifters and valves under control while not being too high. The Morels are a little more beefy than the stock style Comps I was using and they have a link bar as opposed to the dogbone style retainers. I don't plan on taking it above 6k though.

Here are what Desktop Dyno shows for the curves, and numbers. It should hopefully be pretty torquey.

afrenginecurves.jpg

By heckeng at 2010-12-31

afrenginenumbers.jpg

By heckeng at 2010-12-31

Awesome Scott, lots of luck!!! Another Monte in the 11's!!???

I wish Al, I'm planning for 12.3's or around there actually. I would love to pick up that much from the head swap but I think my cam is just too small and my gears are too high for my combo to get me into the 11's.

I hope you guys are right, what do you think this combo will do?

Converter is the same ATI 3000 unit, th350 transmission, 3.55 gears with a 28" tire. Carb is a 750 might demon (DP). You know the heads, and the cam was the 224/234 .527"/.544" hydraulic roller.

With my old combo which was the same but with iron rectangular port heads, I ran a 12.64.

Maybe Desktop Dyno is off because I sure don't think I'll get 11's out of her.

Mike, what was your combo with the 3.42's?

Scott you've come this far why not wake it up? I know, money, but you've waited a year already. If it really comes down to money then pass on the Morel's and buy a cam, the factory lifters will work quite well (I've done it). Spring pressure is not an issue either, if you have spring pressures much higher than what you already have it's a waste with the stock ZZ cam.

What is the point of all the new "flow" if you're not using it? I'm on my third version of a GenVI big block so I know what can make them run. Even if you're dead set on the Morel's (they are a great lifter) I would still not put it together without a new cam. For $300 you can have a certain 11 second car, that's a pair of good tires.

Also I would cut those heads down to at least 104cc's which should get you 10 to 1 (Chris Straub spec'd mine to 102cc which computes to 10.3 to 1). At 9.5 you are already into premium gas unless you want to run it at 32 total.

A very streetable cam is the Lunati 60622 (if you don't want a custom grind), it won't idle much different than the ZZ cam but adds a ton of lift which is what's going to make the heads useful. I used the 623 for a while and it really made a huge difference but might idle a little too aggressive for your needs, the 622 would be perfect for an off the shelf cam.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LUN-60622/

As you well know it all needs to work together, for all the money you have spent on the heads now make them work. Davey

I agree with what you are saying Davey, but right now I'm just shooting for a decent street cruiser that also has a little bit of oomph to go with it. The springs on the heads are only good to .6" so I would upgrade the springs if I went with a cam that was actually going to make real power. I know I'm sacrificing on the cam side of things but I like the comparatively lazy lobes on the ZZ cam as I know it was made to make the springs last a long time. When this thing is running, I generally take it on several 3-5 hour trips to shows a year in Southern MO, Kansas, or maybe Illinois this coming year so longevity is important. I did consider milling the heads further but at the price point of the heads, if I spend much money on them, I would have rather just upgraded to the 290's which are an even better head, but then again my cam wouldn't maximize their use either. On my last car (1970 Mustang) I went down the slippery slope and sacrificed driveability for quarter mile times and ended up not enjoying actually driving it other than stoplight to stoplight and sold it. With the Monte I really want to combine low maintenance, factory brakes, as much performance as I can get without killing the rest, and of course money is still tight. I have talked to Chris S. a while back and now that I finally will have heads, I may see what he would recommend to get good vacuum for the brakes, and try to take better advantage of the good port flows.

I do appreciate your advice Dave, and think you are dead on in your comments. A cam change may be a little further down the road once I see how the heads do with the current one.

well just a suggestion Scott. The 622 cam will make very good power (on a 110 LSA for brakes) and the lift is .6 so no springs needed. I really don't see any slip to that slope but then again it's your expectatons that matter. wink

3.55's with 28" tall tires you will have NO problems in the 1/4 mile scott.

I run 3.55's with 26" slicks, and my cam is all done by 4500 rpm and I can't quite make it through the quarter before I run out of cam.

I know it will be ok Tim, but like Davey was saying, my combo isn't optimized by any means. Steeper gear, a little more compression, and a bigger cam and the car would be a different beast. I think I'm just getting soft as I get older lol