TV/Kickdown cable... seal??

MonteFox89

Well, I finally figured out how to see the leak on my tranny... I lifted the back end on jack stands, put my support rolling jack just under the hog head (incase the worst case scenario), and had my wife sit in the drivers seat and give it gas occasionally.

well, when I climbed under the car I cleaned off the current transmission fluid from the sides of the pan and then told her to give it gas. sure enough some slow moving lucas transmission stuff comes flowing out with the transmission fluid... Over the side of the pan up by the front. I felt around the dipstick tube, dry... so I stuck my hand by the cable and felt it flowing around my fingers.... FOUND MY LEAK!

Now... how do I fix it?

haha! I was sitting around thinking and for some reason the *wonderful* idea of melting plastic around it came to mind... I'm really glad I don't normally act on my FIRST ideas

MonteFox... drain all the transmission fluid, remove the pan, remove the cable.

CLEAN REALLY REALLLLY well.. spray brake cleaner works well here.

let it dry well.

goop it up with RTV, install the cable. LET IT DRY!! 24 hours minimum..

then reinstall the pan, refill with fluid, leak fixed.

I've dealt with difficult dipstick seals this way b4.

kk, Thanks everyone, I think if I'm going to do all this leak fixing... I'm just going to redo all the seals on the lower half of the transmission... Ya know, the stuff I don't have to remove the tranny for! :P

Better idea. Disconnect thge TV cablke at the carb. Go under and remove the 10mm bolt holding the cable to the housing. It is only connected to trans by a Z shaped piece of wire that is the linkage. Replace the sealing cup and reasemble.

Better idea. Disconnect thge TV cablke at the carb. Go under and remove the 10mm bolt holding the cable to the housing. It is only connected to trans by a Z shaped piece of wire that is the linkage. Replace the sealing cup and reasemble.

why on EARTH would he want to do it the RIGHT way??? lol