New heads! SIX WEEK WAIT!

Mike 57

Ordered a set of AFR 325 heads from AFR today. I went directly to AFR because I wanted them angle milled to 109 cc and they will do that on site and correct the head bolt holes and spot face them. They will also correct the intake face. I also went with the CNC combustion chamber option.

I was shocked with the 6 week lead time, the economy has not affected them.

You could always just buy what they have on the shelf, then pay a local incompetent machinist to do your mods....and probably have them done in 2 weeks. It may not be right, but it will be fast. If there's one thing I hate, it's poor machine work: It's really hard to put all those shavings back where they came from!

Sounds as if you're going to need custom pushrods too then...

Thanks Dave, that helps a lot!

well 6 weeks is about how long mine took, I had them do the same work on mine too. Well worth the wait though knowing the pros from Dover are doing the work. Did you decide on a cam or are you going to stick with what you have?

Let me be the first to welcome you to the 10 second club.... wink

6 weeks ain't bad when your car has been down for 6 months! But some of us are at a snails pace.

It will fly by........and its like a deep freeze up there anyways, no?

Don't forget that you'll need some fancy machining on your intake manifold as well. I see that they will correct the intake face of the heads, but I'd imagine some material will need to come off the bottom of the intake? What about adjusting the width?

It sure would be nice if they could machine the heads so you could just bolt on any old manifold without having it specially modified first.

Don't forget that you'll need some fancy machining on your intake manifold as well. I see that they will correct the intake face of the heads, but I'd imagine some material will need to come off the bottom of the intake? What about adjusting the width?

It sure would be nice if they could machine the heads so you could just bolt on any old manifold without having it specially modified first.

no, after they do their magic the intake fits fine.... wink

Originally Posted By: Heckeng
I'm due on Feb 10th Mike, I feel your pain. Those 325's will move some air!

I didn't know you were expecting Scott...congratulations!!!

Yup, Mike and I planned it this way so our kids could play together, but Mike's are going to hurt coming out more--they're a lot bigger! lol

Six weeks? Are they that good? Ot is it like every other corporate American place that lets go 40% of the workforce, lets customer service suffer but still get full price for a part?

Better be worth it.Lol,.

Glad to hear the intake won't be an issue. My local machinist wasn't able to machine my heads that way...something about the intake mating surface on the heads wasn't flat all the way across. The casting swells larger at the valve cover rails. (big block).

I didn't have any choice but to have the intake cut down to fit. I don't like that option, but had to go with it.

That was with a "simple" flat milling of the heads; I can't imagine how complicated it would be if it had been an angle mill...that machinist would have looked at me with glazed eyes...

that's exactly why both Mike and myself had AFR do the work Mark. They sort of do this stuff all day, mine had to be cut from 119 to 102 so you can imagine mear mortals trying to do that.... wink

I trust my local guy to do all my stuff. But AFR says that they will angle mill and correct the intake face and bolt holes for $260.00. Since they do this every day I figure it is worth the wait.

I could have got a set through Summit quicker and took them to my local guy, but one oops and there would have been some sad faces. And if AFR screws the pooch they still belong to them.