Factory 4 speed physical identifiers?

Jamez70

I have a lead on a 1970 Monte Carlo 402 4 speed. Missing the trans. I was wondering what to look for physically on the car that will confirm it was a factory 4 speed. Anything on the hump different from an AT console shifter? No pop or build sheet that I know of. Pedals are there. Thanks!

Look at the floor hump a A/T car don't have a hump you can buy floor humps for chevelles I don't know abut montes but if it jest has a hole hacked into the floor its not a real 4 speed car

Same is true for Monte's as Chevelles. There should be an addition to the hump for the shifter. A thin space for the shifter on a car with a console and a square space for a non-console. The hole under this addition typically wasn't the neatest thing you ever saw...they typically just cut a big hole in the floor and then added this additional cap on top.

Check these pages from my website

From underneath. http://www.monteman.com/New%20Project%2020035.html

I don't seem to have a good picture from on top.

But these caps are being reproduced so it's not to say that some one added it later. In my opinion the only way to really tell is with the numbers matching transmission or a build sheet. Check under all the seats and maybe you'll find one or if it's a made in Canada car you can call GM of Canada and get a copy of the build sheet.

Steve

also look for the boot that bolts to the fire wall by the steering column for the clutch linkage

a factory shifter will bolt to the crossmember not the trans

also check the radiator...it shouldn't have a trans cooler in it

as Steve said...how they cut the hole in the floor was crude at best, mine looks like they used a torch eek

Same is true for Monte's as Chevelles. There should be an addition to the hump for the shifter. A thin space for the shifter on a car with a console and a square space for a non-console. The hole under this addition typically wasn't the neatest thing you ever saw...they typically just cut a big hole in the floor and then added this additional cap on top.

Check these pages from my website

From underneath. http://www.monteman.com/New%20Project%2020035.html

I don't seem to have a good picture from on top.

But these caps are being reproduced so it's not to say that some one added it later. In my opinion the only way to really tell is with the numbers matching transmission or a build sheet. Check under all the seats and maybe you'll find one or if it's a made in Canada car you can call GM of Canada and get a copy of the build sheet.

Steve

Thanks! First thing I did was check your site for pix. I was hoping for a good pic from the top.

Quote:
But would an car with AT in the console have PRND21 in the speedo?

No. Auto w/console only has selector in the console. Make sure there's no provision for a column shift lever.

See the bottom 2 shifter humps on this page for Chevelles and Montes.

The tunnel has no hump, just a hole for the cable on a auto/floor shift Monte.

The clutch linkage is a little different from a Chevelle for a Monte. It's been many years since I had my 402 4 spd. Someone here can give you the details on that.

Dan

All great tips! Thanks to everyone! Car is in Oklahoma and Im in Wa State. So I'll be relying on pix alot. Nice to know what to ask for and look for. If I buy it I'll need to get it to the San Antonio area where my stepdad lives. Any transportaion suggestions? Its about 400 miles one way. May have to fly in and do it myself.