Body back on frame line up

I am in the of putting the body back on the frame I have all the bolts started and

Shafts in the 3 line up holes but the body still isn,t measuring on center it seems like about 1/8 to 1/4 off any suggestions on other ways to line the frame up

Thanks

Well the tolerances on these cars weren't really the best. I've always centered it as best I could and then bolted it down.

I think the most important measurement is going to be from the cowl to the rad support mounts in the front frame horns because this is going to determine how well the nose lines up and you want it centered so the front bumper sits in the middle. The front bumper really doesn't have any side to side movement so getting the nose right is the key.

My 2 cents,

Steve

Larry,

I replaced my body mounts, one side at a time. Linky I used some 2"x4" under the rocker and a few jacks to slowly raise one side up at a time, just high enough to remove the old mounts and clean up, apply corrosion control to the frame area and slip in the new mounts. However, once I had the new ones in, I noticed the body had shifted a bit from the frame and some of the holes did not line up. So I jacked both sides up a bit (just to take the weight off) and was able (by my self) to slide the body around to line up the holes as much as possible but I found that no matter what I did they did not all line up perfectly . I also remember having to pull the front portion of the driver's side frame towards the engine to get the rad support mounts centered where I wanted them. The bottom line and as per Steve's comment, the tolerances on these cars were not that tight when new, add 40 years of being twisted around and if you are off only 1/8" to 1/4" I think you are doing pretty good.

P.S. I'd like to see some pics just to make sure grin

Im on board with Steves advice, the front is the most critical, other than that 1/8 to 1/4 is nothing at all for these cars! The front bumper is where you will notice any side to side difference. If you have it that close to center, you will be fine