need HELP please

stevns71monte

Steve, what are your goals with your Monte? Basic street cruiser with just a little extra? Is a cam change in your future? how man miles are on the engine? does the car currently have dual exhaust?

my plans are like kind of a custom build but everything original same block transmission etc its a single exhuast with stock exhaust manifolds. a rebuild is in my future when i graduate from uti i just want a cruiser the can get up and go when i need it too.

i would start with the exhaust and headers, make it dual so the engine can breath, then the carb and intake, no point putting carb & intake if the engine can't breath.

i would go with a 2 1/2" pipe from header to tail pipe.

thanh

i would start with the exhaust and headers, make it dual so the engine can breath, then the carb and intake, no point putting carb & intake if the engine can't breath.

i would go with a 2 1/2" pipe from header to tail pipe.

thanh

what headers fit? do you have like a specific brand that you like? i was thinking 2 1\2 with flowmaster super 40s i just cant decide on the headers and i dont want to spen money on a part that wont fit ya know?

If you're on a budget, you can get dual exhaust with performance mufflers put in behind your stock iron manifolds. The headers can come later if you want. Just going to dual exhaust and dual mufflers will give the most noticeable gain, then headers, then lastly the carb & intake.

Maybe it's just me, but I've never noticed a "seat of the pants" difference with changing intakes.

Aggred time to go with the headers and dual exhaust that will get it breathing better and fix the exhaust leak. then as the budget allows get the manifold and carb. Those headers look good but not sure maybe someone else can chime in on them and if they work out I may grab a set too thats a good price.

Id personally be a little leary of $99. Ebay headers. Not that I have any experience at all with them, they might fit great and all, just a personal choice I guess. Id find out from others here which ones fit the best,and go from there within your budget. A poor fitting set of headers can play with your patience,exhaust leaks,burnt wires,exhaust leaks,starter issues,exhaust leaks, did I mention exhaust leaks?? grin

You get the point

Here is a set of Headman's (good brand, and not too expensive)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HED-68290/

And here is a nice Flowmaster exhaust kit. I have used Flowmaster kits in the past on many different cars / trucks and they seem to fit nice and sound good. I went with the Magnaflo kit a couple years ago and for me it is too loud inside the car....

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLO-17119/

At 1 5/8" primary tube length for your headers you will be fine for now, but they will become a chock point if you ever decide you want to put out some bigger ponies. I'd just put the duals on for now until you have fresh engine with all the goodies you want in it. Then I'd match my primary tube size to engine output. As far as exhaust goes if you are on a budget having an H, or X pipe system welded up by trustworthy local shop will save you money. If you can swing it I would recommend an exhaust system from Torque Tech. Hands down the best exhaust systems on the market for GM "A" Body cars(JMO). As far as intake and carb goes I agree with others in making them last and once again I wouldn't worry about them until you have a fresh engine. For price and function I like the Eddy Performer RPM intake. I've had real good luch with those manifolds. As far as a carb goes unless you are a real good tuner I'd recommend having a carb built for your combo. No off the shelf carb works for all. I recommend a custom AED carb(starts with Holley cores) Good luck to you.

Steven, I picked up my headmen headers at Yearwood speed and custom up on Eubank. I think they coasted $140.

Give Sandia Muffler a call, there up at Central and Eubank They do good work and do Flowmaster's.