When working on your Monte.........

dbreese

....do you feel like the car fights you. Seems lately every little thing I do turns into a freaking nightmare! I swear over the weekend I wanted to give up and sell the car!!!! I know it is just me but I'm lacking motivation. Guess it could be the long work hours IDK? Ok I feel better now. Let me get back to the garage and start working!!

David

I think we all have been there at one point when working on our cars, I know I have a couple times... crazy I even through a cover on it one Summer and would not touch it for like 4 months when it gave me a problem.

....do you feel like the car fights you. Seems lately every little thing I do turns into a freaking nightmare! I swear over the weekend I wanted to give up and sell the car!!!! I know it is just me but I'm lacking motivation. Guess it could be the long work hours IDK? Ok I feel better now. Let me get back to the garage and start working!!

David

Oh man do I know that feeling. Luckily a view of the members that live near me stepped in for a Monte intervention. I know for me it's especially frusterating because I'm not very mechaniclly incined as far as engine work goes. Fight the good fight and don't give up. Lucky for you there are some VERY knowledgeable people on here that love to help a fellow brother out.

If anyone cannot relate to having gone through this at least once during a restoration, if not many times, I have to question whether they do their own work or whether the car actually really needed restoration. It is par for the course as far as I am concerned and ultimately makes the end result that much more satisfying. This mixture of frustration, pain and pleasure sets us appart from most other "wimpy fun" hobbies so be proud of your anger mad!

P.S. For me, every repair has some element of cursing involved; sometimes it's just more audible grin.

Like Tony said sometimes its better to walk away from it for a while. One night I fought tring to get the alt bolt in and got frustrated I called it a night. Came back in the morning and it slid right in, go figure. Sometimes you get a bit tired and have other things on your mind and it fights ya all the way. Some times you just have to sit back and reflect. beerbeer

I think we've all been there. Sometimes it's an issue we can't seem to resolve becuase our mind isn't working, or it's a simple procedure where the parts just won't cooperate.

I've had issues like this when I was rebuilding my front suspension. I followed the instructions given in the chassis manual, but as it turns out, it takes you through the most torturous route. I could clearly see where the bolts needed to go, but couldn't get the parts lined up to make it happen.

I agree: step away for a while. Even for a short time while you relax and get something to eat will clear your mind and make the project easier. Often times I wake up with a solution the next morning and wonder how I hadn't thought of that earlier.

I guess I am lucky. Something fights me like a froze control arm bolt or a stripped brake line fitting I get upset, I just delegate it to my shop foreman and head back inside the office to do some posting. Hey, these freaks want to drive my cars, they better learn how to work on them!

David are the headers giving you trouble??

Al,

That seems to be the only thing going my way. laugh

Thanks for all the replies ya'll. I knew last weekend I shouldn't have even attempted to work on the car. It had been a long work week (80+ hours) and my sleep pattern was way screwed up but I felt I needed to do something. I really wanna get the car back on the road by the end of the month. Guess I may be expecting to much. Thanks again!!

David

I think we've all been there. It's good to hear everyone talk about it though. I might have to clip out this post and put it in the garage. One thing I've learned the hardway, is that getting mad usually cost me money. A wrench would slip and wreck something, a thrown hammer would hit something and damage it. I've had similar experiences throwing golf clubs. One very nice thing about growing older for me has been gaining patience, and learning the harder you fight something, the harder it fights back.

Oh yes!

I always warn my wife to stay away with the kids when I work on the Monte. There could be a questionable word coming up here and there...grin

BUT: There is nothing better than finishing the job and it actually works as intended. These are the moments that keep me sane!

One thing I've learned the hardway, is that getting mad usually cost me money. A wrench would slip and wreck something, a thrown hammer would hit something and damage it. I've had similar experiences throwing golf clubs. One very nice thing about growing older for me has been gaining patience, and learning the harder you fight something, the harder it fights back.

ditto Couldn't have said it any better.

My own car rarely "fights" me but in the beginning I did have a lot of internal engine issues.

Now Al's car is another story!!! Every time I work on that car it insists on hurting me... Things from busted knuckles to flying nuts into my eye to literally popping my back...I swear that car is out to get me wink

Steve

My own car rarely "fights" me but in the beginning I did have a lot of internal engine issues.

Now Al's car is another story!!! Every time I work on that car it insists on hurting me... Things from busted knuckles to flying nuts into my eye to literally popping my back...I swear that car is out to get me wink

Steve

Sounds like Al's car was mad at you for the times at the track. Will this year be different? I guess we have to wait and see

Every one of us walks out the the garage planning to get "xyz" done tonight....I have found that if I cut that "xyz" down to x+1/2... the frustration level drops tremendously....