TROUBLE

Mike 57

Pulled the engine to do the head swap and cam change. With head studs it is easier to do it on the stand. When I drained the oil I found a lot fine metal almost powder on the magnetic drain plug. What I found is that the cam gear had eaten into the face of the block. My cam gear has a torrington bearing on the back to prevent that issue but it seems like it failed to do its job. I will have to have the face of the block machined to install a hardened wear plate. That means a tear down, not what I was looking to do! I do not use a bypass on my oil filter so it caught 99 percent of the trash in the oil so the bearings look good, oil pump shows some scoring from the cast iron grit passing through the gears. There is some very light scoring in the cylinders, most below the oil ring travel. I feel lucky I found it now. Ordered new rings and bearings and should have it back together in a couple of weeks.

I will post pictures when I have the opportunity.

well it's good that you caught it Mike. Probably wouldn't have caused a major failure but surely some premature wear. Good time to make sure everything is right before you make that 10 second pass.... wink

Bummer Mike! At least you caught it before to much damage was done. What do you think caused the bearing to fail? You'll have that mill back together soon and running 10's without a doubt.

David

Mike.

that's a bummer. i feel your pain because after i got my aluminum heads on my engine. 2 of my SR lifters gave up and took out 2 lobes on my cam. glad you caught it before it got worst.

thanh

Winston, I run a Cloyes billet timing set with a torrington bearing on the back of the cam gear. The bearing seems to have a little bit "noise" but it does not seem like enough to cause it to wear into the block. The thrust is controlled by an integral roller button built into the two piece cover. I know it was adjusted correctly. I think I will file it under "crap happens" and go from there.

Thanh, sorry to hear about your troubles. What brand of S/R lifters were you running?

Mike

they are comp cam. they been in the motor for 9-10 years. over 200 passes on them and a lot of street time. so it was time. the cam is back at ultradyne getting re-lobes. new lifters on their way. hopefully put everything back in a few weeks.

just curious what you used for the thrust plate and bearing?

thanh