Clutch pedal Interchanges

Boz

Does anyone know what Pedals and linkages will work in a 72 Monte? my wife wants a 4 speed so I need to find all the parts to make it happen. I have pedal from a 68 Camaro and 73 nove but not sure if interchange. Thanks

any gm A body clutch and brake pedal will work...not sure about F and X bodies....you can buy a complete kit on ebay.

the chevelle z-bar frame bracket will NOT work because the engine is further back in relation to the crossmember compared to a chevelle but they do make one for a monte carlo.

hope this helps

any gm A body clutch and brake pedal will work...not sure about F and X bodies....you can buy a complete kit on ebay.

the chevelle z-bar frame bracket will NOT work because the engine is further back in relation to the crossmember compared to a chevelle but they do make one for a monte carlo.

hope this helps

ditto

they have the aftermarket kits for a monte too

Originally Posted By: 71monteLS6

hope this helps

ditto

they have the aftermarket kits for a monte too

Or use a welder as I did..

• 2 weeks later...

71 Monte LS6

"....frame bracket will NOT work because the engine is further back in relation to the crossmember compared to a chevelle but they do make one for a monte carlo." Are you sure about this?

While your information would seem to be supported by the facts below I never heard that the engine position was different in the MC versus the Chevelle. I am going to look in my parts book and see if parts like the upper clutch control rod (which is not adjustable)is the same for the MC and the Chevelle.

Read on...as I said the information that follows supports your statemnt but everything else I ever read says that the engine is in the same place (relative to the firewall and the rear end) in the MC and the Chevelle. Everything I have ever done with the car was done with transplanted Chevelle parts and I never needed anything special to accomodate the different Fore / Aft positioning of the engine that you allude to. I have changed the inner fender wells and used Chevelle inner fender wells with the 3 or 4 inch MC "extensions" that bolt between the front of the inner fender and the rad support. That fact convinced me that the added length of the MC was forward of the engine crossmember as opposed to the engine being set further back int he frame.

Years ago I added a 4 Speed ( I now run a Richmond 5 Speed ) and it seems to me that I just bolted the 4 Speed to the TH350 C-member crossmember W/O moving any bolt holes on the frame. I could not bolt the Z-bar pivot onto the frame because there were no bolt holes in my frame so I just welded the bracket in place.

Some other data....I have a 72 MC with an LS6 454 that runs a Corvette 5 quart (6 with the filter) GM pan (the standard pan and the only GM BB pan for a C2 and C3 Corvettes). Also this same car once had a 400 SB with the large Fuel Injected Corvette (C2) trap door GM oil pan. That pan is indeed much longer (but shallower) than the standard Corvette pans in the rear sump dimension) In both case the oil pnas cleared the crosmember with no sweat.

These two pans fitting support what you say but everything else I ever used was Chevelle sourced when I converted to stick.

71 Monte LS6

"....frame bracket will NOT work because the engine is further back in relation to the crossmember compared to a chevelle but they do make one for a monte carlo." Are you sure about this?

While your information would seem to be supported by the facts below I never heard that the engine position was different in the MC versus the Chevelle. I am going to look in my parts book and see if parts like the upper clutch control rod (which is not adjustable)is the same for the MC and the Chevelle.

Read on...as I said the information that follows supports your statemnt but everything else I ever read says that the engine is in the same place (relative to the firewall and the rear end) in the MC and the Chevelle.

I think 71MonteLS6 referred to the FRONT crossmember (the one under the motor). While the Monte Engine is in the same position in relation to the firewall and backwards, the front frame is 4" longer. Therefore, the engine sits a bit further back in relation to the FRONT crossmember. The different front frame shape is also the reason for the different Z-bar bracket to the frame on the Monte. If you mounted your Z-bar with the Chevelle Bracket, I would love to see how you did this, it did not work at all for me...

Chevelle Bracket:

KR00584-med.jpg

Monte Bracket:

3972641r.jpg

Andreas

I was also refering to the front crossmember. I should not have mentioned the rear crosmember. Looking back on it that reference served no purpose in this discussion,

I did some reasearch. Assuming that the engine is further back in the chassis on the MC how do we account for the following. All the Big Block listings in the GM parts books list the same engine pipe for MC and Chevelle Sport Coupe right hand side and left hand side? It would seem to me that if the engine is further rearward then the pipes would have to be different.

Also the upper clutch actuator rod is the same for all vehicles from 70 thru 72. I did not research the earlier cars because the MC was not offered before 70. That upper rod is not adjustible. If we moved the engine rearward that rod would have to be shortened or the geometry of the Z-Bar would have to change. Earther a unique MC Z-bar would be needed or the rearward shift of the engine wth the same length upper rod would have the effect of rolling the upper Z-bar "arm" forward toward the rad support.

Belive me I am not tryong to pick a fight here. I just am now wondering ..could my Vette oil pan(s)fit in Chevelle frames (70 to 72) ? The Chevelle guys get all wrapped up in Milodon pans and Moroso pans and what not when in effect there is a possibility that those extra capacity pans are useable in Chevelles. I have often thought of suggesting this to Chevelle guys (BB and SB guys) looking for more oil capacity with a stock GM pan but I always refrained.

What I am seeing in the parts book tells me that the pans I have used in my MC might clear the Chevelle front crossmember. After what I read today in my parts book and what I know I used in my conversion to stick I think the engine is located in the same place on the MC and Chevelle frames. Too many parts are common between the two cars and any parts I have ever found that are different go forward of the front crossmember.

Another item to check..and this would be easy...see if someone has a Chevelle and an MC. As long as the engines are the same series BBC or SBC it would be simple to measure from the coil post of the distrib to the firewall to determine if the engine is further toward the rear of the car. Perhaps the frames are such that the crossmeber sits further forward from the firewall in an MC. That would account for my clearance for the pans I have used. It would be a different thing to say that the crossmeber is farther forward than it would be to say that the engine sits further rearward.

Looking at your pivot bracket pictures I think that way back when I did this I had the wrong bracket. That might have been why I needed to weld it on. It might be that the parts book did not list one specifically for MC it might be that the dealer "winged it" when I ordered my parts. There are more than a few sections where the GM parts book does not call out a specific MC part for a given application. The upper clutch rod is such a case. My parts book just ignores the upper rod in terms of any MC listing. I sure don't know why they did that. It would be interesting to see how those brackets of yours line up side by side. If ( IF! ) they used the same mounting holes it would then be easy to see if the bracket positioned the z-bar in a different place. If they don't use the same mounting point on the frame that theory / idea of mine is useless. It is hard to tell from the picture what the comparable dimensions are between the two brackets and how the parts compare. Clearly they are a different shape, therefore they have to be a different P/N (unless one superceedes the other?) ..not sure how they position the Z-bar looking at the picture.

Bottom line is that everything points to the same parts from the engine back..exhaust and that clutch rod. The big BUT is that there is room for those larger capacity pans in the MC frame. I know that for sure and that Vette FI SBC pan is certainly much longer in the sump area. I don't have a P/N or a picture but the sump on that pan extends much further forward toward the balancer than other SBC pans.

The more I think about this the more I think the crossmember might be further forward. On the other hand Chevelle Steering boxes interchange as do the pitman arms and the steering columns. Something has to be different someplace!!!! The wheelbase is a little longer so perhaps the front crossmember is a little farther forward and they "got by" using a different intermediate shaft between the end of the column and the drivers side of the steering box. If that is the case then I think we know where the extra length is. I am going to research that part number next. If they are different #s that might be the clue that cracks the case!

I am doing a full auto to 4spd conversion on my 70 chevelle 454 car and have seen a monte bb car in a 4 spd 70 as well ...you would be surprised how many differences there are... My Chevelle/Monte Carlo Manual does show a lot of picture diff between the chevelle and Monte and does show both those brackets that are seen above with 2 diff part numbers from GM and also Reverse lock out rod set ups too. The Manual has full visual drawn pictures with whole front end shots of a 70 chevelle and a 70 Monte Carlo....Maybe Vaughn can churp in here too seeing how he has a bb 4spd car too in a 71 for his input....Darren.