Reverse = Foward?

Slaman

Ok so I finally got to drive my car for the first time in 16 years today. smile but It don't have reverse, actually, when you put it in reverse it tries to go forward just like it's in 1st gear. It didn't really feel like it was shifting in from first or second either. But I did get it up to about 30 mph.

This is a 200-4R tranny. I got the tv cable adjusted correctly, to the best of my understanding. Now granted this was a junk yard tranny that was sold to me as a "core" but when I pulled the pan it was really clean so I took my chances. But it sounds like I lost that bet. Or am I missing something? Is there an easy fix? Or is it time to pull it and rebuild?

Thanks

Steve

the TV cable controls the oil pressure in the tranny, don't think it has anything to do with your problem

to adjust the TV cable correctly you need to hook a gauge up to it, I believe the pressure at idle is suppose to be 65-90 psi

I would check the gear shifter linkage first. If that is not the problem, pull it. If it's not jiving and inbetween gears at the tranny, that could be it.

If the cable is adjusted way to tight, you will have too much pressure at idle, and it might even start out in 2nd gear. If it's way to loose, it should shift into 2nd, but may slip in 2nd if you hammer on it. That's what usually goes out when people don't have it adjusted correctly, the 2nd gear band. What is your setup for the TV cable?

You need approx 75 psi at idle, but the key is that as soon as you blip the throttle, the pressure comes up immediately.

And I also agree that it could be the rear sprag clutch. When mine went out, it would sometimes go in reverse, sometimes not. It would rev up like it was in neutral, but if you shifted through the gears a few times, it might move.

Thanks guys. I'm leaning toward an internal issue but I am going to double check the linkage and shifter cable again.

the linkage set up is from a stock TPI off an 89 IROC-Z.

Anybody ever rebuilt one of these at home?

I am taking a leap here and think you have the original console shifter for the T350/T400 .You may have an internal problem . When you change to the 4 speed auto you need the kit to change the shifter detents . I would have thought if you dont have the "new detents" that you might catch neutral when shifted to the reverse position . Its just a thought anyhow.

• 2 weeks later...

Winston, I've read through that article a few time and have it saved as a favorite. As I am debating rebuilding it myself if I can't find another answer.

Grease, I do have the original console shifter but I did swap out the detent plate with one from the "Shift Works" instal kit.

This just really baffles me. I think the Low and Reverse share the same gear set but the Low also has to engage the forward clutch pack and mine don't seem to release it in Reverse... confused

first and reverse share the same gear set and in the tranny there are little metal balls that float in certain spots of the fluid passages if they get stuck from debris or what not flowing through the passages this could cause this issue as well as a shift plate gasket that is damaged or the shift manifold is warped or bad. take the tranny to a shop. by any chance did you smell the trans fuild when you got it if so did it smell burnt this could be the issue your dealing with.

"dont quote me on this" but as far as i know for setting the pressure for the tranny the 200r4 you dont set its adjusted by the tv cable when it is properly set "check this site out http://www.montecarloss.com/SSThunder/drivetrain.html ". the 700 you do with guages as the 200 has the kickdown cable similiar to the 350 just a different length cable

Thanks Alex. The fluid did smell slightly burnt but I was hoping to put a rebuild. But I only paid $65 for the trans so no big loss there.

The 200-4r does regulate the pressure with the TV cable. Not sure about the regular 200's they probably did have the kick downs like the 350's.

I'm going to start collecting parts for an overhaul... And I so much wanted to be able to go cruising in this by the end of summer. frown