What did you do to your Monte today?

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started to put front end back together. Upper and lower control arms, springs, shocks, spindels are all in. I have to paint sway bar, tie rods, center link, and steering box in the morning.

Finally finished up with the cam and lifter swap. Got the motor all put back together, even put a shiny thing on top.

003-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

Got it started, set the timing real quick and idled it up for the flat tappet initial run. Had a little gas leak and got it straightened out. Everyrhing was great: Sound good, good oil pressure, good temp, no water in oil, no oil in water, etc. So, after 25 minutes, I idled it down. Man, does this thing soud sweet. I was stoked!! So, why not take a little spin?

2 miles down dirt roads to the nearest paved road (some things about country living could be better). So, at any rate, I take off hammerin' on it. This thing runs great - not super fast but still plenty quick. So I turn around and do it again, this time manual shift first,second third - had to be goin near 100mph ( Spedo's goofy since I put the 4.10 gear in it) when BAM-THUMP-BAM-BAM-THUMP-THUMP. Definately not good. Front u-joint let go. Didn't spit the yoke, but was slamming the tunnel pretty good. Didn't bring my phone with me so a nice 2.6 mile stroll home. Luckily for me my uncle is a saint. He gets his trailer and truck and home we go. Didn't look to bad tore up the tunnel pretty good but no holes. So, a couple new u-joints, and we should be good to go' right? 012.jpg

011.jpg

Well I got the driveshaft back in but it wouldn't go all the way into park enough to hit the nutral safety switch. So I look under there again and 006-1.jpg

004-2.jpg

008.jpg

DEFINATELY NOT GOOD !!!

So I get the tranny out without taking out a single bell housing bolt.

015.jpg

016.jpg

Found this one on CL last night for $150.00 and picked it up this morning. Suppose to be rebuilt - we'll see. It does, at least have new seals and gaskets in it so it should have better manners than my last one. Also, it gives me a good excuse to put my new converter in.

017.jpg

Bad as all that is it still beats working by a long shot. Sorry so long.

Pulled the grill out Friday night and cleaned it up and preped for paint. Masked it off from the front and painted it from the back side (as someone suggested) with black semi gloss so the front of the fins are still chrome, came out good. Today I found out that the control arm bushings are not bad but the alignment shims fell out from the left side so an alignment will be in order in the spring. Also pulled the starter out to see what the problem with that was and found the selonide bolts loose, im suprised it started at all. Thats just another thing that I have found that the previous owner messed up. It seems like every problem I have had was because he did something wrong or short cutted the repair with inferior parts or shotty work. That was an easy fix I pulled it all apart cleaned it all up put it back together and its as good as new. Next I have to get the alt. and get that on and check the cd player to see why that was messing up the last day out.

Looks pretty traumatic there Tommy eek

I cracked a case all the way around on my 76 Blazer during a 4 wheeling incident where I caught a huge rock on the front pumpkin, shoved the axel back about 6" on one side, and that split the tranny wide open during the shock I guess. It still didnt look nearly as bad as yours

I have spent the last couple days working on the passenger fender.

Basically what I started with:

photobucket-5508-1326720790825.jpg

The inner brace:

photobucket-1296-1326768180008.jpg

Brace repaired:

photobucket-1426-1326768179001.jpg

Home made patch installed:

photobucket-2638-1326768178501.jpg

Steve

UPS just delivered my HRpartsandstuff antiroll bar and a while back Dan sold me his Hotchkis dbl adj upper control arms so now just gotta wait for some warmer weather to get this new suspension going..Hopefully it'll be worth a 10th or 2. smile

Bought some 70-72 Chevelle OEM metal inner fenderwells for $30. No rot just a couple of the mounting holes were boogered up, left them with my buddy at A1 Welding. Gonna be good as new when he's done.