What did you do to your Monte today?

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats a good deal. i paid alot more than that for mine.
Thanks!!! You know it's kinda weird, I took the fenders off the other day and the plastic inners was cracked and I told my cousin that I was going to get the metal ones. I got home and checked good ole Craigslist and there they were for $45obo. I called the guy and I got them for $30!!

Cut off the lower part of the right quarter. I also sliced off a small section of the trunk piece that is welded to the quarter. All in all it looks not too bad in there

DSC02394.jpg

DSC02396.jpgDSC02401.jpg

DSC02400.jpg

From the trunk

DSC02397.jpg

The rot

DSC02398.jpg

Originally Posted By: black07ss
I finished up the wheel well lip

Bob That looks great. I wish I had some know how on how to do some of the stuff my Monte needs!!

I wish I knew more, I'm making it up as I go worst thing I can do is mess it up lol

I would be totally lost without Tony and the FGMCC

I took it out for a quick spin around Monroeville, still gives me about 1 drip of tranny fluid since I have yet to replace the dipstick o-ring. I love driving it, just not enough to make me want to keep it. Hopefully I'll be able to sell it this summer to feed my car addiction or to help my keep my head above water since I've been without work for a month now. Thankfully I bought a winter beater in enough time that the Monte could be stored this winter.

haven't touched it in 4 days.....bringing home the cherry picker tonight and yanking the engine/trans.

have 3 days off,so that's like 72 hours of labour I should have done before I go back to work....lol

watching 3 tracking numbers for goodies.......a late xmas for me.

Went to start it last night to go to the local cruise. I turned the key and it let out this horrible metallic sound that would make the hairs on your neck stand on end! The starter was always a little loud.....I hope no teeth got sheered off! Gonna see what lurks under there after work today in between helping the kids with homework, grilling, etc.... Pray for me, I don't want to replace the flexy!

Hopefully it is only the starter like mine was. Put in the new starter and then I had to replace the flexy cause the guy I bought the car from put the flexy in backards. The original starter had a problem and when I took it apart I could not get it back together. I used to build and rebuild starters for GM but these baby aftermarket things is a breed of a different cat. All the gears were good until I put in the new starter and that is when my son in-law and I found out the flexy was bakards.

Larry - I'm pretty sure the flexy is on correctly, the raised torque converter tabs are facing the converter if I recall.

With regular starters, I always pry out the gear drive and do a visual on the clearance, but I have a new GM gear reduction starter and was unable to do this. I think I have excessive clearance with no shims.

Sounds like your flexy is on OK. I used to build those GM gear reduction starters back in the early 80. I was never impressed with them. We had a lot of problems with them and I do not know if they ever got into production back then because I left that area ASAP. I worked int he starter dept for 11 months and it seemed like 11 years.

I've seen this thread before but I've never had anything to contribute. Until now! My 70 Monte is parked in the garage of the house I'm building, and since it's winter, I don't get over there very much. However, yesterday my father in law and I went over there to do some work (adding a railing and banister to the unprotected concrete staircase), and he said to me, "why don't you start up the Monte?" and I was like, "that sounds like a great idea!". And so I hooked up the battery, poured a few drops of gasoline down the carb, and turned the key, and within a half a second the engine roared to life and purred and rumbled as if it had been started the previous day and not 3 months ago. What a wonderful car that is!!!

Yesterday I also went to the DMV and found out that I'd need a bit more paperwork and release forms from the Polish customs (even though the car already cleared EU customs in Germany) before I can register it. Oh well, c'est la vie! I can't wait to get the old faithful gal on the road in springtime!

Bob get yourself some ear plugs they work well. save your ears youll need them later on in life.

What....hu... lol Thanks Steve I have plenty of ear plugs. Guess I should have said I was tired of working on it. You know how that goes. When things start going wrong take a break before you want to break it lol

Originally Posted By: cny first gen 71
Bob get yourself some ear plugs they work well. save your ears youll need them later on in life.

What....hu... lol Thanks Steve I have plenty of ear plugs. Guess I should have said I was tired of working on it. You know how that goes. When things start going wrong take a break before you want to break it lol

I have to get away from mine sometimes when I can't think of a single task that doesn't involve a big hammer.

No more shotgun pipes. I installed my SS tips today. As usual, what should have take 1 hour took about 2 but I won't bore you with the details. These were tough to find - 3 inch, most were 2.5.

Now I look like I got a job!

IMG_4449.jpg

Sweet!! Love that look!

When I picked up my SS car last summer, both exhaust tips had been smashed nearly flat between the pavement and the bumper (wonder how THAT happened???).

Since they were welded onto the tailpipes, I wondered how in the world I was going to open them back up. I finally took a big bench vise (off the bench, of course) and squeezed each tip on their sides while inserting a 3# hammer head into the tip as a mandrel and using another hammer to shape them.

They're not perfect like yours, but they came out alright considering ...

P7170665.jpg