What did you do to your Monte today?

Got all of the new Taylor plug wires routed to the Dist cap and the Moroso Plug wire router things installed. Those things are really making the engine compartment look a whole lot better. Now to get the new Dist and and rotor installed. Had to take a break that bending over the fender is hard on this old mans back. I need my son in-law to show up and help me finish up.

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

got a flat in the miata and popped the wheel in the monte to get it plugged. They pulled a freakin rifle shell out of it!!!

-Mark

Holy Smokes where you live lol

Put a different carb gasket on and got rid of the vacuum leak. Also dropped the trans pan the transmission fluid looked really good no chunks just the normal sediment in the pan. Brought the pan to work to clean up on the bench grinder it the whole transmission is painted yellow.

Thursday I cut out the rust in the package tray and fabbed up a piece, got it spotted in. Today I did some sand blasting, ready for some welding tomorrow

Before

DSC02433.jpg

DSC02435.jpg

Spotted in

DSC02434.jpg

Sand blasted

DSC02436.jpg

DSC02437.jpg

Bob I wish my package tray was that nice the whole thing has to come out. I bought a spot weld bit today from the Mac guy. Came home at lunch and let it run for twenty minutes no leaks from the transmission so far. I also got it running pretty good compared to how it was running. Ordered a new throttle cable at work too.

Installed the new rotor cap and dist. cap. Now I need to finish the plug wires. Also started working on the new/used inner fenders I picked up about a month ago. They are going to look new after I give them a coat of Wizards Black Renew. That stuff is really making them look new all over again.

Quote:
What did you do to your Monte today?

Didn't actually do anything to my Monte but I am installing lights in the garage for my Monte...only half way done right now.

I pulled the cover off, wiped it down and went for a good ride. It was partly cloudy in the low 40's today. I saw lots of others out with their cars too. I put 40 miles on and really enjoyed every minute of it. I topped off the fuel tank and parked it back in it's own garage. I put some Sta-Bil in, dusted and covered it again. It was glad to be back in its heated garage, waiting for another nice day to go back out for a drive.

well, finally got around to getting rid of my points. I installed a points eliminator kit from Accell (2010). Runs great and start ups are improved.Also changed out the spark plugs, wires,cap, rotor, and changed the oil. It was a nice afternoons days of work. Capped it off with a little grilling and beer with a friend.

Well got a few pics of it and got my brand new tool box all put together and up in it's new home. It is actually taller then my original which I've had for years and is OVER FULL hence the need for this one. Now I have power from behind it and ready to LOAD it up (started) with tools for all the projects.

So Monte will benefit big time from the re-organization

Here is a pic of it in it's final position tucked in beside my work bench on the opposite end from my other box.

DSCN0991.jpg

It is taller then me now!!! GREAT DEAL on this one almost COST price...1/3 or less then the normal price of these!!!

Very nice, Scott! Sounds like you got a good deal, too. Now you just need a step stool to get to that top box! Both floor space and wall space (i.e. for pegboard) seem to be at a premium in my garages. Sometimes up is the only way to go for expansion.

I recently upgraded my Craftsman rolling cabinet and drawer chest combo to one about the same size but with ball bearing drawer slides. After transferring the contents, I am now filling up the old one with odds and ends tools and the whole thing is going on my next garage sale.

I generally subscribe to the philosophy that you can never have too many tools, but, unfortunately available storage/display space sets some practical limitations.

Dennis that is very true you can't have too many tools but you CAN run out of place to store them.

I have a wooden rack to the LEFT of this box and it is a good size and next to it is my wall furnace and beside that is the 60 G compressor and on the other side is my work bench and then my other tool box and then the floor drill press.

I have peg board on the other side wall from belt line up to just below the ceiling. It is full too of stuff I have 4 multi draw screw/nail etc units one is 60 draws etc. and then all the odds n ends and my 3 old kitchen cabinets next to that in the front...seriously running out of space. floor and other wise. And still the Monte fits nose to tail with room to walk around it, open drivers door fully and almost on the passenger side and tons of room in front. For a 1 car garage it is not a bad size but still I could use oh say another 2 car garage on top of it..LOL..Now getting that is entirely another matter LOL..

Re-organization is much required!!!

Scott

I started the 72 up a little while ago and man does it ever sound good with the garage doors closed. Glendia came running out because the last time she looked about an hour before I started it the spark plugs wires did not have any ends for the dist cap. Here is a view of what he finished product looks like. http://s270.photobucket.com/albums/jj86/leghome/?action=view&current=distpix.jpg

Looks real nice Larry, love the colour wink

When/if I redo mine hope it looks half as good. First however it's get that Quad running good and go from there....

I need a vacation from work so I can work on my Monte..one gives me stress the other takes it away...you guess which one!!! LOL

Scott

After putting on the new dist. cap and plug wires the 72 acted like it had a miss. Son in-law came up Sun and we checked pulled the dist. cap and it had dust in it. The dust seem to have came for the rotor cap as it had been rubbing the inside of the dist. cap. Put the old rotor back on and cleaned the inside of the dist. cap with electrical spray and the miss went away. We also pulled the valve covers and rest set all the rocker arms. He had to back then off over 1 1/2 turns to get them to rattle a little. He tool them down to where the rattle left and then another 1/4 turn. It seems to be running a lot better and sounds real good too.

Ok,I went to my nieces hair salon with my son and the Monte, their shop on Valentine day donates all money received to the Canadian cancer society.All they ask is for a donation, got the ears lowered and I look as good as I can get. My son and myself went for a cruise through downtown Vancouver up and down the main cruising strips,it was cool and dry(42*} tons of people giving the thumbs up and giving positive comments. When I was on Granville mall (main nightclub area) we had the windows down and heater on when all of a sudden two motorcycle cops pulled up beside us , he said my Shiney Hiney LED tail lights were flashing way too fast.? ([you said a naughty!] )he said this was a MV violation but then he said he liked the car and said I had a electricial problem and would let me go. Glad he is a cop and not a mechanic! He told me he had a first Gen Monte back in the day and he said I did a nice job fixing the car up. As my son was with me I was polite and was a good citizen..... And how was your day.......