What did you do to your Monte today?

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankie when you get your new garage done you can come and put one up for my Monte to sit in during the winter. My pickup sat outside this year and I do not care fro scrapping ice and snow although this year has been one of the mildest I can remember.

I'll hopefully get my 72 insured this weekend for daily driving. Goodbye Civic (winter beater), hello Monte! I have to reinstall the quarter window (after replacing broken guide wheel) and rear part of the interior. smile

I got one from another member locally who is parting out a monte. He might have the one you need also. Send a PM to Garrett (Monte72Carlo). He's parting out a whole 72 Monte and has lots of parts.

Year one carried the one I needed but not sure that they have all types. The one that broke on mine is a common problem as it takes more stress than the others.

Called Leo and ordered steel inner fenders.

Hey, let me know how they fit.

I installed some from Leo over the summer. The passenger side went in like butter! Not so much with the driver side. Not sure if its my car or the fender. Tip: its easier to loosen the bracket from the firewall, bolt in the fender, then tighten the bracket to the firewall.

Hi All, it's been so long since I've done anything to my Monte (the 71) that I don't think I have posted in this thread but who knows. Im not looking through 51 pages to see. whistle Anyways I finaly did something to my 71. It wasn't much but it was a start. She still don't start so I pushed her outside and gave er a good bath. It's been sitting in my garage over a year now and I need the space so the bad news is.......No! I would never sell her. eek But I would make her sleep outside. After she was all cleaned up I put on her car cover then over that with the tarp. Is this overkill or is this not a good way to cover her up for a couple months?

BEFORE:

Montelosesgarage004.jpg

AFTER:

Montelosesgarage010.jpg

Montelosesgarage014.jpg

OVERKILL?

Montelosesgarage016.jpg

Montelosesgarage017.jpg

Montelosesgarage018.jpg

Chris, I would avoid the tarp, especially on a gravel driveway, moisture from the ground gets caught up in the tarp and does a number on the body and interior, kinda like a greenhouse. If anything, the cover is enough, they breathe and let the moisture out. Ive seen cars go south fast under a tarp and on either gravel or dirt.

On a side note, the car looks awesome, sorry to hear its still not cooperating

Frankie T that is not a very big garage but it is better than the present one eh. I have been very lucky to have the room and funds to have one 23 X 24 garage. One 24 X 24 garage/woodshop and the 12 X 16 shed for the tractor and yard tools and I wished I had more garage space as this winter my pick up sat out in the elements.

8x6-6 is the door I had to go with too and I had to get the low headroom kit also that was another 50 bucks and it didnt come with a lock that was another 15 bucks. Mine ended up a little over 400 bucks I put it in myself in a day and a half, its been a long time since I put them in.

I haven't done anything yet this morning, but that is going to change soon coffee

Yesterday I installed the top part of the hood latch that I got off a 1970 monte in the local junk yard. I sandblasted it and painted it and stuck it on!

I also installed some of these Quik-Latch Mini Pins in place of the hood pins that were installed by the previous owner. Much nicer, I think!

Rick

Chris, I would avoid the tarp, especially on a gravel driveway, moisture from the ground gets caught up in the tarp and does a number on the body and interior, kinda like a greenhouse. If anything, the cover is enough, they breathe and let the moisture out. Ive seen cars go south fast under a tarp and on either gravel or dirt.

On a side note, the car looks awesome, sorry to hear its still not cooperating

Thanks Tony and Bill. The cover under the tarp is not the best. I just figured that it would help a little not to scratch the car with the tarp. The car itself leaks at the drivers side quarter window and the trunk. i already know about a couple rust issues that the guy in Vegas pretended to fix and pretty much the car is already rotting. I've seen a lot worse fixed here by FGMCC members and I thought the issues were being taken care of on my car but that wasn't the case. It will just get worse quicker so I will probably just push it back into the garage and try and think up plan B. Thanks again guys.

I haven't done anything yet this morning, but that is going to change soon coffee

Yesterday I installed the top part of the hood latch that I got off a 1970 monte in the local junk yard. I sandblasted it and painted it and stuck it on!

I also installed some of these Quik-Latch Mini Pins in place of the hood pins that were installed by the previous owner. Much nicer, I think!

Rick

Agreed! I assume they are being used as hood stabilizers in conjunction with the stock latch.