PC slow?

FastClass

Originally Posted By: FastClass
I have dealt with PCs as old as Win 98 that had never had an AV or any form of protection on them. The User was a safe surfer and the PC was as clean as a whistle.

ditto

You would not believe, or maybe you will, the things we find on Govy computers. Even with firewalls, IDS, HBSS at all levels of the NOCs and the ship itself running. And pop up pron still manages to get the lan infected with a dummma$$ user..

I would understand that, and believe it! I knew a lot of people who would specifically target government computers. of course a lot of them got caught and prison but still... as for the unsafe browsing... I've had to help my wife with her laptop and fix it several times when she's doing random google image searches. looking for a flower tattoo design she clicked a flower she liked and bam! started random pop-ups all over the place! called me in there and just kinda took the battery out before it could actually do much more damage. put it back in and started it up and had a partial in it which I cleaned out.

My comp with 1TB of space (yeah ridiculous amount!) has no anti-virus software on it but I've yet to have problems... funny considering I have a bad habit of downloading roms (old games for like the Nintendo and sega and some playstation). Most of the rom sites are REALLY bad! just watch the links very closely and examine what you can when you can to be sure you don't get hit.

Now, I don't advise this method. trust me I've been through my share of viruses on other comps I've owned... but I've come a long way on the knowledge of random internet hate lol

yea. That image, jpg, exploit is sort of a new thing to my knowledge. I think google is taking steps to prevent it.

Not sure how successful they have been.

Then again the site of the image could have been cracked\poisoned and the site owner\host not even know it.

1TB is a huge amount of space. But they have 2TB hard drives now too.

Not real common in the average user market but in big use by larger business`s on file, print servers and on line shopping catalogs.

I always build my PCs with two hard drives. A small(er) capacity for the operating system and regularly used programs.

Then a larger capacity drive strictly for storage of pics, tunes, movies, etc.

yeah mine is a single... lol to lazy to actually build mine up anytime soon... but even with ALL my music... Movies... and games... Not even a quarter of it used yet! drives me nuts lol I just wanna go downloading all kinds of random things half the time!

Oh yeah... Stay away from torrents people... some are ok but some are... BAD!!!... better to just not touch them

Not only can a torrent download be a bad thing.

But unless it is properly and carefully configured along with a firewall you are leaving your PC open to those that know how to exploit the open ports that torrents use to function.

Not only can a torrent download be a bad thing.

But unless it is properly and carefully configured along with a firewall you are leaving your PC open to those that know how to exploit the open ports that torrents use to function.

I forget to add the important details like that sorry lol but it's ok cause no one here does anything bad like that... RIGHT! no

I made mention of this in another thread. But this one seem`s to be drawing a little attention so I`ll post it again here

Quote:
So, You're Being Sued for Piracy

What's that? You just got a letter asking for money because you downloaded a movie? Here's what you should do.

By Sarah Jacobsson Purewal | PC World | 17 June 11

Today these entrepreneurs are increasingly hunting for new business on peer-to-peer networks. Lawyers working for these firms have been known to sue first and ask questions later--and sometimes they make controversial legal maneuvers. If you're illegally downloading the latest Mumford and Sons album and you aren't worried, maybe you should be.

In this article I'll discuss the rise of copyright trolls, and how they work. For any pirates out there, I'll describe what happens when the jackbooted copyright lawyers come knocking on your door to serve you a settlement letter. And lastly, we spoke with legal experts to gain insight into illegal file sharing from the mind of a lawyer.

Are Copyright Trolls the New Ambulance Chasers?

Copyright trolls work in a few different ways, but the end goal is the same: Threaten, scare, and embarrass people into paying a neat sum (usually between $1000 and $3000) without ever actually going to court.

Full story here.

But like Vic said. Of course none of us do this so it is not a concern.