In my next life

As part of the rear end improvement I am working on, I took virtually everything from the undercarriage (aft of the tranny) out and am cleaning the frame and floor pan with wire brush (with my Makita grinder). As I was laying on my back with about a foot of clearance, my arms killing me, wire brushing away in a cloud of rust dust for the second day in a row, I was thinking to myself that in my next life I will restore a car by taking it all apart and having the frame and body sandblasted instead whistle. I had the same thoughts as I spent an hour scrubbing the dirt, oil and tar off myself earlier this evening. I'd post some pics about the work but there's not much to see just yet. I'll try to post something in a few days. Why did I do it this way? Many reasons. At any rate, I just thought I would share my thoughts for those who can relate and say that I still love this hobby even though at times ... crazy

Thanks for reading.

I feel you pain smile My next house is going to have a lift it it breaks me! I am going to do a frame off it it takes me years to finish it!! lol

I had a friend when I was in High School and he went through the same process with his '66 Chevelle...except he didn't have any power tools. I think he did the entire underside with one of those metal-brissle toothbrush things!

To be honest, we didn't see much of him. We were there every evening talking to his feet.

I think from that project onward, he was forever stuck in this position!

"Russell, it's time to wake up and go to school..."

bb_man_undercar.jpg

kinda glad it's not easy! means more bonding time! and it gives us an excuse to complain about our backs hurting so we can possibly get back rubs from our wives.... yeah lol

Thanks for the feedback guys, I know I can always count on someone from this great site to relate to what I am talking about.

Mark, I was somewhat like the pic you posted except lying on the floor vice a creeper and covered from head to toe with dirt like I just spent a shift working in a coal mine, oh yea and with a subtle look of pain on my face laugh

I've seen this contraption at work & it works wonderfully. When this guy delivered a certain sales pitch on me..I though this guy is "wacko" but after seeing him tilt a full size ford, he had me convinced not only of its easy set-up, but its usefulness, course you wouldn't use it for oil changes.. but I'd say it could be very useful. lol

His pitch!!

Why lift a car when you can tilt it?

tilt.jpg

I've seen this contraption at work & it works wonderfully. When this guy delivered a certain sales pitch on me..I though this guy is "wacko" but after seeing him tilt a full size ford, he had me convinced not only of its easy set-up, but its usefulness, course you wouldn't use it for oil changes.. but I'd say it could be very useful. lol

His pitch!!

Why lift a car when you can tilt it?

tilt.jpg

If I tilted my car like my cocktail would spill..:lol:

I hope your using a mask while doing that at least a dust mask and of corse safty glasses

Yep, paint respirator type mask actually and ear defenders - the grinder gets loud after a couple of hours and they also do a good job at keeping the dirt out of your ears lol.

I was thinking of those rotisseries also, although I don't know how comfortable I would feel about tilting the car that much with engine and tranny in it eek.

man that car tilt thing looks scarry but wouldda been very helpful to me this past weekend as I was on my back welding...Iwant a rotessorie now!!!

man that car tilt thing looks scarry but wouldda been very helpful to me this past weekend as I was on my back welding...Iwant a rotessorie now!!!

Scott, check this out? I'm considering the idea? Check-out the video under handling..although they use a smaller car. crazy Have not inquired on the price though. tipjack

it doesn't look like ol' Ludwig is from around these parts....

hey ....that's the same hose nozzle we have!!!!

Ludwig is from where our ex-governator is from.. kicking That nozzle not much of a pressure washer.. & cheap too.. lol

Here are some of the pics promissed

This is after degreasing and cleaning.

DSCN3610.JPG

This is after two days of wire brushing and another round of degreasing/cleaning. I know it doesn't seem like much of a difference, the pictures don't provide the level of detail.

DSCN3611.JPG

Today after four hours of contorsions I finished the first coat of rust paint. Pics of that in a few days.

Looks great! I did the same thing to my 71 over 22 years ago. Lot's of hard work, couldn't do it again.....

Bruce