Updating problem

70 Iron

My dest top pc will not update virus definitions ,I have norton 360 security but the same problem has been with Micrsoft essentials as well.It will auto update for a wk or two but for some reason it will fail at any giving time and put the pc at risk.I have tried to manually update as well .I have uninstalled and reinstalled but still a problem ,also rebooted over and over.I have windows XP. I've tried for tech support but but they give me the run around and I can't understand most of them.This has been a problem with all the different internet securitys.Any suggestions confused?? Thanks

Terry

It is a good possibility you are infected. Many viruses will block\disable virus program updates in order to avoid detection.

Or it could be numerous other problems. When you are unable to update are you still able to surf the Internet?

Yes I can still surf the web witout any problem.

I was using Microsoft security essentials and it would update fine and keep the pc protected witout any issues but I would have to either reboot or manually run the update to get it back about wkly but it got so that it wouldn't no matter what I tried so I uninstalled it and installed Norton and it did ok for about 2-3 wks and it started the same thing,This was a few months ago and I have been putting up with it.I would reboot ect with Norton but now they won't update the virus definitions.

They both would update without failure for a while ,could be a wk or 2-3 witout failure then stop and then leaving the pc unprotected. At this time ,I'm using Norton and is's showing that I'm protected but when I check the status it has not updated so within a few hrs/or a day it will stop being protected then I'll have to uninstall ,reboot,ect and what ever else I come up with,its a real pain. Thanks

Terry

BTW This pc is over 10yrs old and its a Dell

I`ll make a few assumptions here.

1) You have uninstalled all previous anti-virus programs prior to installing and trying\running a different one.

2) You are running Windows XP as the PC`s operating system.

3) you are running the Windows built in firewall only and are on some type of high-speed connection, not dial-up.

When you say "get it back". I`m not quit sure what you mean.

I`ll make a few assumptions here.

1) You have uninstalled all previous anti-virus programs prior to installing and trying\running a different one.

2) You are running Windows XP as the PC`s operating system.

3) you are running the Windows built in firewall only and are on some type of high-speed connection, not dial-up.

When you say "get it back". I`m not quit sure what you mean.

Yes I uninstalled previous AV before installing another

I'm running Windows XP

I'm using windows buit in firewall and have high speed internet

When I said "Get it back,I meant get the updated definitions started working like it should and the protection.

I'm still being protected at this time but the Virus Definitions are out dated so its just a matter of time when it will show that I'm not being protected from viruses but the others like firewall ect will not be affected and is being protected as it should.its just the viruses not being updated like it should .When I view the details it says that its because of the Definitions failing .

Terry

Thanks for the info.

So. You are currently running Norton 360. Could you please check the version. It should be version 5.0

Found this thread. About a year old but seems to reflect your problem.

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-36...ons/td-p/221221

It also offers some possible fix`s.

The simplest being checking your Region, time\date settings on the PC.

When time allows please have a read. Let me know what you try and what you find.

Thanks for your patience Fred,

Yes I'm running Norton 360 ,I think its the 4 version,I'll check my account to be sure ,It wouldn't allow me on when I tried but I'll check again.

I read the forum on norton as you sugested and thats the same problem I'm having.Thankyou for searching for it . I also have done many of the same task as they.Its with all the Internet Security centers I'm having this problem,I'm strongly thinking I have something in my files thats causing the problem.

I checked the time,date and Language and its fine.

I'm very limited on knowlege on these computers ,I need things black and white if you know what I mean smile

Also the "One click Fix It " as they spoke of won't run and shows an error .I also cleaned my registry today as they did. I'm at this point being protected but when I run a live update it show the definitions are out dated as they said theirs were doing.

Its strange but I'll run it by you ,,when its updating as it should ,you can check your status and the updating is showing its running and checking for new updates and it shows it running by the seconds ,minutes .It will show that last update was so many minutes ago ect.But now it shows that it hasn't been updated for 189 days and just the other day when it was checking for new updates it was only minutes or even 2-3 days,I don't know why its showing that many days,It happen after I re installed it. I don't want to take up you time with this but i thankyou very much for your response.at this point I am thinking about taking it to the shop,what is your advise on that ?

Thanks Fred ,

Terry

PC shops are funny places.

Have meet several people who owned\operated PC shops over the years. Some were pretty darn good. Others had no business being in the business. People can say all they want about their knowledge. Does`t mean they really know that much. Myself included. blush

It did`t matter if they were one man shops or the big retail shops. I won`t name names. grin

If you have a local shop and are comfortable with them, have heard good things then by all means take it in.

Most are not cheap though.

I believe you are very right in your thoughts that some file(s) are causing the problem. My biggest concern is whether the file(s) causing the problem are legit and the problem is purely accidental or the file(s) are malicious in nature.

One more question for you. Since the PC is pretty old.

Have you ever, or had anyone, do a complete fresh install of XP on it?

I have never did a fresh install of XP and to my knowlege no one else have.I had a problem in the fall of 2010 with some kind of virus where I couldn't surf the web and it was very slow so I took it to the shop and don't know what all he did but it has been working great other than this updating thing.

It was doing it before he worked on it and after as well(Definitions)

Someone some time ago when I was discussing this updating thing said it could be because its so old,but a friend purchased one the same time as i and he has no problems.

I'll talk to the guy that worked on it in the past and see if he has had this before.

I'll let you know what I come up with .Thanks again Fred smile

Terry

Hi Fred

I talked to the pc tech today but he has no idea and really doesn't want to even try.He gave a lot of if's but none was adressing this updating of the definition thingy that I've had with all the security centers. He wasn't interested ,so much for him.

Norton was giving me such a fit with not allowing me to sign in and other weird things ,I uninstalled it and reinstalled microsoft security essentials again,I've had more satisfaction with them .I turned off the auto update and will manually update the definitions when its needed,I thought I have nothing to loose. It scans for updates all the time when its set for auto and it may be hitting a "gremlin" somewhere along the way..I'll let you know how it goes.So far its doing ok .

Thank alot for you responses ,Stay tuned :-).

Terry

Thanks for the updated info Terry.

In my opinion and my opinion only the surest way to solve the situation is to do a fresh install of everything on the PC.

We call it a nuke and repave. grin

This wipes out everything on the hard drive. And gives you a totally fresh slate.

Not really hard but can be a bit over whelming if it is the first time for you doing it and is time consuming.

Of course this means that you would need to move any pics, documents, anything else of importance off of the hard drive first.

I know you have said that you uninstalled all previous AV programs. But that does not mean they are totally gone.

There may still be remnants of Norton 360 on the PC.

Is it part of the problem? Do`t know.

Either way it will not hurt to try this.

http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_view...EN&ln=en_US

Please follow all directions should you decide to run it.